Author Topic: any flint in Arkansas?  (Read 9504 times)

Offline Scottski

any flint in Arkansas?
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »
i live in Arkansas about 5 miles from bootheal of mo. was wondering is there any flint in Arkansas and what would it look like? I would like to try knapping but not going to pay for rocks that i am most likely turning to a pile of gravel.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline ojibwatbowyer

Re: any flint in Arkansas?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »
You should have some novaculite it comes in a few colors from white, black, grey, pink and redish, to some purple. Needs heat for best results but i used some really grainy stuff and it still worked out for me, good stuff for us beginers to learn on  ;D

Offline Scottski

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »
I will have to look up some pics of it so I know what to look for.

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:32:04 pm »
They make wet rocks ( sharpening stones) from them.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:31:26 am »
I grew up in northeast Arkansas in Jonesboro. Novaculite is all located down around hot springs. I've tried goin in rock runs lookin for good quality and found that the quarry's that sell it are the best place to score. But don't worry you're in luck. There's also a little known rock called Crowleys Ridge chert that is all around you ;) I learned on it, it's tough stuff but real good rock similar to tx stuff. I used to go to gravel pits and collect it. Fist sized pieces is about the biggest you'll find but its pretty abundant. It takes heat pretty good, there's a knapper on you tube that goes by clovisknapper that lives in your area and collects and knapps Crowleys ridge. You should look him up sonyou can see examples of the rock. As far as other AR rock there is pitkin chert in north central AR. It's black and works REAL nice raw. It's hard to come by though... Hope this helps ya ;) good luck!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Scottski

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:46:53 am »
That  is the most help I have had so far. Thank you very much.

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 12:54:44 am »
No problem man, that's what PA is all about ;) helpin out others and sharing what we like to do :) let me also add that since I moved to TN I have become spoiled on Good rock. If you are considering the three or so hour drive to hot springs for novaculite that you'll need a kiln to properly cook to somewhere around 900deg. I would suggest you just drive a couple hours to TN and hunt creeks around the TN River and Buffalo river in TN. Much better rocks and it's easier to find quality material. IMHO
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:15:12 am »
 I found a good post over on PP on Crowleys ridge. Check it out, it's some really nice colorful stuff. Just tougher than a Saturday night in jail  :laugh:

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/51815/Crowleys-Ridge-Points-ve-made-last-couple-years#.UQyZUnt5mc0
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 11:45:03 am »
Ok I like the Tennessee idea when I get a chance I will take a drive over there and look around. I'm going to look here in Paragould in a couple more places around crowleys ridge and some gravel pits first. Got a new baby she is 3 weeks old don't get too far from her yet.

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:09:45 pm »
How long you been knappin fella? You should post some pics of what you find and some points when you get em made ;)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Scottski

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »
Just starting to try it.