Author Topic: BANG !! I hate short bows New Photo pg 2  (Read 4016 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: BANG !! I hate short bows
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:35 pm »
I'm thinking the same thing as pearly in that it might have been too dry. Just a guess but it also looks like the inner limb is fairly thick and may not have been doing its fair share causing too much bend in that spot. Sorry to see it go. After just the first layer of sinew I've ever layed this weekend it stinks that so much work goes into it to see it break. :/

Offline Keenan

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:37:00 pm »
Sorry for your bow
57" NTN with a 6=8" non bending handle was the most likely death of the bow. That is just to much bend for that little amount of working limb.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 05:14:24 am »
Bummer - sorry to hear that Darryl ! Time to pick up the next piece and go to work. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:19:52 am »
Commisserations ... you obviously haven't read that bit that says sinew backing makes a bow virtually unbreakable! >:D
Smae happened to me on the only sinew backed bow I did >:(... lot of work for no reward. I daresay I'll have another go sometime.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:24 am »
Sorry about that DQ, What Keenan said,that is asking a lot from such a short piece of wood ,sinew will help hold one together but it ant the cure all. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:16 am »
Suck....that one was looking awesome.....I'm a lil baffled and I'm not 100% certain as to why it broke. Everything looked good design wise on it honestly IMO. I've made 55.5" stiff handled unbacked bows pull 26" with retained setback...but that was osage. Matts right..try osage ;)

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:12 am »
DQ I'm a shortie builder and just gotta say "been there done that".  It happens occasionally.  But, I have had tremendous results with sinew as well.  Judging from the pics, it appears that was a lot of handle for that particular shortie IMHO.  Try it again.

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:58 am »
DQ sorry to here about that it was a sweet looking bow it happens to all of us grab a nother stick and start another nother one take care
Old timber bows

Offline DQ

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 04:57:07 pm »
Thanks for your condolances, guys.  LOL  Just another bump in the learning curve.  :)  I cut a cross section of the limb to see what I had.  There is 1/16 inch of sinew at the place the limb blew up.  This taperes to 1/32 inch at the limb tip.  I don't have much experience with sinew but it looks good to me.

I agree that I was asking for too much bend in that limb length.  Also, I checked the humidity in my shop.  38% @50 degrees.  So, according to the chart, moisture content of the wood was about 7 1/2 percent.  Pretty dry!  That could be the problem too.

Anyway, onward and upward.  I hope.

DQ

Offline PatM

Re: BANG !! I hate short bows New Photo pg 2
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 06:50:11 pm »
Yep, too thin for the wood thickness and type. You're not moving the neutral plane much if any with a very thin layer.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 08:06:00 am »
7 1/2 should be OK for IW.  :) I just think it was asking to much for to little working limb. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »
For that length and a stiff handle, maybe a little wider limb would have helped. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso