Author Topic: Possible Point? (New pic added)  (Read 2222 times)

Offline StevenT

Possible Point? (New pic added)
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:21 am »
These pictures are from a friend on a sea glass forum and she asked if it was an arrowhead. She is from Tracy's Landing, MD and that is all I know about where it was found. It appears the stone material looks like it may be a softer or porous rock and appears to be well worn. If she found this walking a beach, the condition would be consistent with beach wear and a stone bouncing around in the surf could end up with flake scars. But what I am looking at is how the scares seem to be laid out in a pattern that looks consistent with someone running a line of flakes. I have added a picture with what I believe to be flakes outlined. I know it is the general shape of a point, but that alone isn't enough to say it is an arrowhead. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:51:16 am by StevenT »

Offline Jimbob

Re: Possible Point?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:35 am »
Yep, that's definatly an arrowhead.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:20:52 pm »
Yep.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:05:23 pm »
I would say so too
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »
If I found it in our field I would put it in my case with the rest of them it looks like one to me.
Rob

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:12:25 pm »
I concur with the rest. It looks like it flaked pretty decent by the length of a few of those scars

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:34:25 pm »

Ditto! ;)  Rolling in the sand, for who knows how long, would abrade the rest of the flakes scars down, but I would call it an arrow head.  Could have been shot a seal, or other marine creature, or who knows how it got there.  I am sure it has some interesting history to it though.  Cool find. 8)

Wayne

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:04 am »
I'd say preform more than actual point. But I could be wrong.  Definitely flint knapped.  Nice find.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:50:46 am »
Thanks for all the feedback and confirmation. Here is another one the lady found while beach walking somewhere up on the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay. Looks like a small blade... very nice find!

Offline Jimbob

Re: Possible Point? (New pic added)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »
Very nice find indeed.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei