Author Topic: Help with simple horsebow  (Read 4665 times)

Offline tnfalconer

Re: Help with simple horsebow
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 01:35:19 pm »
Pat, I PM'd him last night. The tennessee classic is only about an hour from me, so I plan to be there this year. The idea for this bow was taken from one that I had the pleasure of shooting in europe. Smoothest shooting bow that I have shot to date. Small enough to use in the bush and plenty of power.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
Yup pat...that ones a beauty...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23300.0.html

Are you sure you have what it takes to start tackling horn bows?  You might wanna make a few "known" types first before trying to implement your own design. If you do stubbornly try to embark on your own design first then please post them here with as much detail as you can....id also highly advise going over to atarn.net...there is much better help there for hornbow builders..it is a forum dedicated to horn bows..

Offline tnfalconer

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 01:57:23 pm »
I did not mean to imply that I was new at making bows, just that the two I am building now are the first in a good while. I am also not really known for taking the easy road, although I have never made a laminate bow of any kind, I prefer to do my own thing. As far as I know the only way to learn how to build a Laminate bow is to make one, thus this thread. I plan to do just that,albeit a little more complicated with the horn. I have never seen anything that I could not build, mistakes are inevitable. I have never learned anything from being right. I would rather make mistakes and learn than build the same thing as everyone else and get it right. I think I will be ok with a little help and knowledge. Stubborn is one of my defining charachteristics. It pushes me to challenge myself and not settle for what is easier.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:00:42 pm by tnfalconer »

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:16:57 pm »
Haha, You do want to do this the hard way!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »
TN, James should have his horn bows at the Classic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tnfalconer

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:35:05 pm »
Thanks Pat. Rain here for the next couple days so I should be able to get the form made and pics posted here.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 07:57:23 pm »
What you are planning to do is something that has already been done so you can likely find a bow type out there that matches what you are thinking of.
 Here's a 57 inch simple wood laminate:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:57:22 pm by PatM »

Offline tnfalconer

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 11:21:30 pm »
That is pretty much what I want to build. Only thing I want to do differently is to have a full horn back on the bow.  That one looks to have horn overlays or tips.

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 11:35:18 pm »
Presumably you mean a horn belly.... Are you going to sinew? There are examples of bows with horn bellies and no sinew. However if you want the horn to actually do what it's supposed to rather than just look the part then it makes sense to reflex and use some sort of backing that will help the horn do its thing.
 That bow I posted just has temporary fiber reinforcement wrapping the siyahs and splices for test shooting.

Offline tnfalconer

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02:34 am »
I would think that sinew would be in order. Honestly I have not thought that far ahead. Still building a form and trying to source materials.