Author Topic: Gluing a working limb back together?  (Read 3315 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Gluing a working limb back together?
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »
Do you guys think it's possible to glue a working limb back together?  I had this piece of maple blow on me - It pretty much mates back together.  The crack is about 4 inches long with ridges and valleys that would increase the gluing surface.
I have some g2 epoxy that I'm thinking about using - then backing with rawhide - Think it's possible?  The bow is 1.5" wide with a trapped back, 66" long and I was shooting for 35#.  I had it to 26" when it blew on me.  I figure after the fix, if it works - trying for 25 - 30#@28"?

Let me know what you think. 

Offline bushboy

Re: Gluing a working limb back together?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:51:24 pm »
Sorry bud,it's kindling.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:01 pm »
I have to agree.  Start another one and learn what you can from it.  you might could glue it and wrap it and give it cpr, but it will never be what you want.  I broke several before I got a good shooting bow.  Hang in there.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »
It's toast, start a new one.  Josh

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:06:19 pm »
Haha, I figured. I'm not that attached to it, so no big deal. The crack fit back together so well, I thought it might be possible to fix.

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »
I halfway agree with the rest of u guys. It could work if u epoxy it and you could probably wrap sinew or maybe a strip of rawhide around it. It would still be a pretty good bow
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »
Your t dot guy if I remember correctly,knock me up if you come through manitoba.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:00 pm »
I halfway agree with the rest of u guys. It could work if u epoxy it and you could probably wrap sinew or maybe a strip of rawhide around it. It would still be a pretty good bow

It might hold long enough to get hurt.  There's a simple saying that sums up this situation,"the bow ain't broke til the backs broke".  Well my friend, the back don't get any more broke than that.  The best you could hope for salvaging some of that bow is to splice a new limb onto the handle of the unbroken part.   Realistically, you would be better off chalking it up to experience and starting over.  Just my .02.  Josh

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »
I am a T.dot guy.  What exactly do you mean by knock you up? :).   

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 09:33:46 pm »
Roflmao!  Run Bubbles!  Bushboy has been out in the Bush too long!  Lol!  I missed that the first time.  Josh

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 09:50:11 pm »
If its any consolation use the good limb for building a take down. Just finsihed one by using 2 limbs from previous broken bows.  The sweet trade off is if one breaks, you simply remove it and make another.
My next project is to build another T/D bow and have 3 exact limbs for it......She s a No Brainer...... :P
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 12:53:54 am »
Haha, yeah, I gotta get some takedown sleeves.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 04:49:16 am »
Just funning,that's what the newfoundlanders say to give me a call .lol!