Author Topic: Rock I.D.  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Rock I.D.
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »
So i am having trouble finding a rock ID database any suggestions?  I have alot of this stuff on my Texas Hill Country place. I cut it with a tile saw.   Any know what it is?

Offline Tower

Re: Rock I.D.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »
I have found that same stone here. It makes some beautiful points when heated.I'm not sure what it is. The outside resembles coral on the ones I've found. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:41:25 pm »
Box it up and send it to me for further analysis.  I have no idea but it looks great.  Hit it!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:50:12 pm »
Tower, thanks for the reply. We do have a lot of petrified coral on the came property.  How long and how hot? 

Madcrow did you see the back?  That's what happens when i hit rock. If only we could use drawknives to make arrowheads. ;D I'm still new and i think this stuff is challenging for a knew knapper.  Oh well ill just throw this stuff in the trash.         J/K but i will put it away until i get better.  Thanks for all the help.
 Any ideas on a rock identification database?

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:57:11 pm »
I take it to 450 for 8 hrs. Beautiful points.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 01:22:44 am »
I think one of my dogwood billets would do wonders for the back of that rock.

Offline seider

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:34:15 pm »
I find some stuff up here in central texas that looks close to that also.  I am still new to this have been doing it about 2 years max.  My rocks still look like that when i hit them..  I have gone through a bunch of rock to get what i am able to get now which are not the best one day I will get a bow that does not have training wheels on it and try some out...  Mine may fly in a circle though...
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:58:17 am »
Looks like an agate.  But not a geologist..lol does it have polyps?  Whatever it is its knappable!  Good find!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill