Author Topic: New member saying hello  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Orangeman89

New member saying hello
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »
Hi Folks,
I am a new member of the forum as of today and wanted to say hello.  I am a new self bow builder.  I have completed one osage bow using Dean Torges methods and it was a great shooter until it blew up.  I made the mistake of having my 16 year old son draw it and boom!  Turns out he has a legitimate 29.5" draw.  I currently have three bows in the works.  I am working on a 55" kids bow, a 62 inch bow following the torges book, and a 68" bow following Gary Davis video tutorial.  I actually started trying to build bows back in 2002, but got intimidated on the tillering part and left a bow in rough outline.  Decided to give it a try this year thanks to all the you tube videos that explain tillering.  That was the bow I blew up.  Anyway, I have a bunch of osage I cut in December and January and am speed drying enough so that I can work on some bows.  I live in Southwestern PA and was wondering if there were any other forum members from PA?  I look forward to being a part of this community, and hope to be able to add value where possible.  This is a great site, with a lot of talented bowyers that I hope to learn from. 
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New member saying hello
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:52:16 pm »
Welcome to PA mark. I think there are a few members from  PA or close by. They should chime in soon.
  If you have read through the site you know we require pics. We'd love to see what you are building.

Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:04:49 pm »
Welcome....don't know if I can help with how to make a bow,but I live in beaver county....where exactly you at? There's several guys from our area around.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:17:05 pm »
     welcome, blackhawk thats funny, people around here like lots of pictures. based on that you can get lots of help even if you don't want it. :o >:D

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Orangeman89

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »
Thanks for the response guys.  I am going to get my daughter to help me with pictures and I will get some on here.  Blackhawk, I am from Uniontown, which is just about 15 miles north of Morgantown, WV. 

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:33:58 pm »
Just looked at your profile and see your in uniontown....I think Roy is prob the closest to you...he goes by the handle of jack@$$..oops ..sorry I mistyped there...he goes by Roy...he's in Irwin. Another guy bob who goes by the handle of rsp3 here who lives near where they used to make the rolling rock. And there's a few guys in my local area,but that's further away from you than Roy and bob. Also trapper rob lives about an hour n a half east of pitt....and that's about all I know of...n I've been around the block or two around here.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:34:20 pm »
Welcome. I think you'll enjoy it. I know we do. Don't be afraid to ask questions and take plenty of pics. Us cavemen like piture books. lol.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:35:52 pm »
OM89
Welcome to PA !!
Uniontown is a pretty place place !
My youngest daughter lived there about a year but just moved to Morgantown !
I hope you have thick skin cause you will need it around this bunch ! All in good fun !!
blackhawk will eventually steer ya right and it will be worth your time to go see him  ,I am driving 21/2 hrs to see him this weekend ,but there might be a few other reasons for me to go also !
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline druid

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 04:58:08 pm »
Welcome, man.