Author Topic: Saw blade knives  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Saw blade knives
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:19:40 am »
Ive been making a few knives out of circular saw blades,I use a little side grinder to cut the blades. I can get them very sharp but the edge dosent last long before its dull. Do I need to heat and harden this steel?  I dont let it get to hot while cutting, at least I dont think its very hot.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline cracker

Re: Saw blade knives
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:26 am »
Morning Rick
   The saw blades are made to be tough and springy the older ones are just hard on the tip of the teeth the newer ones with just a circular cut out where the teeth should be are not hardened at all.others have just carbide teeth silver soldered onto them so yes you'll have to harden and temper them. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:03:46 pm »
Thanks Ron, So I just get them red/orange hot and quench in oil?   Im putting together a makeshift forge to heat in,or will a fire get it hot enough?
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »
Hi Rick
  Just get a magnet and heat to a point that the magnet is no longer atracted to the steel then plunge the steel directly into the oil could be old motor oil vegetable oil doesn't matter. use a container of oil deep enough to submerge the steel vertically I always go in point first then after it has cooled clean off the oil and bake in an oven at 400 degrees for about 2 hours. I use a cheap toaster oven from the dollar store it helps keep me out of hot water with the ol lady. You may find you need to go more if the matal is too hard and breaks easily. if too soft go for less time. Personaly before I risked my knife blank that I put so much work into I'd experiment on some scraps of the same material. Don't have the blade completely sharp as the edge will burn easily, sharpen after tempering. Ron

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:06:21 pm »
Thanks Ron! ill try some scrap first. Its a learning process,glad there are guys like you to help along the way.  :)

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:13 pm »
Hi Rick there are a good many good videos on u tube also there are a lot go good books on the subject. Ron

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:53 am »
Thanks
 :)

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »
Madcrow does a guthook buildalong and he is using saw blades. Very good read.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 02:12:18 am »
Madcrow does a guthook buildalong and he is using saw blades. Very good read.
Thanks Leroy
Thanks,ill look it up.