Author Topic: "Texas Yew" thin rings?  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Sasquatch

"Texas Yew" thin rings?
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:57 pm »
Hey everybody in PA , I have a question on what to do if the rings are way to thin to chase? I got this wood in the Texas hill country and I call it " Texas Yew" it's just a name that I gave it cause it looks just like Pacific Yew. The tree is actually called " Mountain Laurel". And it's hard finding one that's straight in any form or fashion.   It was cut in winter so the juices wernt flowing under bark. I am trying to simply remove the bark , but can't differentiate between the rings in the sap wood.  My question is what do ya do with white woods if you can't simply peel the bark off by hand?

I dont want to back this bow, because i want to keep the white visible. Any suggestions?

Ill post pics of rings if I can see them with iPhone. They are really thin like 2mm.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: "Texas Yew" thin rings?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:34 pm »
not sure about this, but ive heard that you may not need to worry about that with yew, i think thats because the rings are so thin that they dont matter that much, granted its probably better to have one solid ring, however, i bet that so long as you dont have a huge chunk taken out you should be in good shape. but of course id wait for others to chime in
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:17:46 pm »
First off...mountain laurel looks nothing like yew...does it grow small non porous rings?..yes..but that's about the only similarity they have. You are going to have to carefully scrape the bark off with a scraper,knife,scissors etc...and if you can't(which you should be able to carefully)and you violate a ring id advise not trying to chase a ring and just back it with rawhide for insurance. I have made a bow out of its cousin(rosebay rhododendron),and you just use the first ring under the bark just like any other w

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »
Let me know how it works out. I have 25ac of the stuff.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:26:43 pm »
Thanks Iconicmuffin,  I want to re post the pics so that they are larger.

Thanks Blackhawk,  I always listen to what you say, I admire your work. I still think it looks like yew  ;), did you have to back yours, is Mountain laurel tension strong?

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:58 pm »
Im having trouble with pics.  They always seem to large to up load.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »
edit them in paint, use the crop/resize feature to make them smaller, save it, then you should be able to see the size
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:34:40 pm »
Ok...call it what ya will then  ;) ...lol :laugh:  no I didn't back mine...I do believe rhododendron and mountain laurel to have similar properties,and you should be able ti make an unbacked bow with it...its just super hard to find any that's suitable for a bow...I'm gonna look for some down in west Virginia this summer hopefully,cus it grows pretty big and in more abundance down the than here in pa.

Hey Pat...if you can find a piece that's useable enough(key word) cut it down and bring it to the classic for me.....ill make it worth your time n effort with payment in gold ;)

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »
Blackhawk  thanks for taking the time to answer. I agree that it is hard to find straight or semi straight.  Its all over the place in Texas Hill country, but 1000 acrs is alot of land and alot of trees.  Ill ceep a sharp eye out for the stuff this spring break.  I might even cut you a piece, if i can find enough. You know 20 staves for me and one for you. We'll see.  Of course i don't know how to get them to you. Well if your ever in College Station Tx. let me know.    Hey here are the pics again hopefully they are bigger this time.  Don't laugh if there the same size. ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:59:42 pm »
I can tell you that you haven't violated the back ring yet...that's the good news....Jeep scraping it away carefully..and that's the bad news

No worry about getting me some...ill find some eventually if I go out specifically looking for it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:19:35 pm »
I'll see what I can find for you Chris. Do you want Rhodo too or just Mt Laurel(Kalmia latifolia). I think I already have a stave or 2 of Mt Laurel in my shop so they will be well seasoned.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 02:37:47 pm »
Yes pat..kalmia latifolia..also known as mountain laurel and nicknamed calico bush and spoonwood. Write it down so ya don't forget to bring em...heck I might even work on one there so you can see it firsthand ;) ....and you like that nasty twisted thin ringed stuff right ;)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 05:58:23 pm »
Our "Texas Mountain Laurel" is not the Mountain Laurel "Rhododendron".  It is Sophora Secundiflora.  I have some cut and drying now bark on.  Haven't made a bow with it yet so I can't answer specifics.  I cut mine last summer and it appears to me the bark will peel off easily.  You might have to scrape the bark and cambium off.  Careful with the sap and resins.  The seeds are deadly toxic!  Even the flowers fragrance can make you ill.  Just sayin'.  Never heard it called Texas Yew.  Mescal Bean, Frijollito, Coral Bean. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.