Author Topic: Positive tiller guys, how much do you do? 1/8"? 1/4"?  (Read 19755 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Positive tiller guys, how much do you do? 1/8"? 1/4"?
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:41 pm »
I thought it was interesting that the Yumi gripped their bows below the center to avoid the shock of the shot being that that shock took place in the center of the bow.
 Also the grip. Art Butner showed me that trick a few years ago. He would bring his thumb tip and second finger tip together(like gesturing "OK") as his grip and let the weight of the drawn bow rest against the palm of his hand. When shot the bow would rotate(counter clockwise for right handed shooting)allowing less paradox for the arrow so different spined arrows could be shot from the same bow or on a bow with the string laying to the opposite side from the arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2013, 04:22:37 pm »
I try to have about 1/8" more, measured from the end of the dip to the string on the upper limb, but I'm happy with close. I'm more concerned with tiller at full draw myself. It usually falls into place when you use a tillering gizmo.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:42 pm »
Well, anyway, ask 3 experienced bowyers and you'll get 6 different answers. In the final analysis, the best of tiller is how the bow shoots. Take your tape measure and put it back in your toolbox. I take it outside and make my mind go blank (easy to do). I see how the handle pressure is and forget about hitting  the target (S.O.P). Is it even or does the top or bottom have different pressures? Pressure should be even. Whether the pos. tiller is an 1/8", 1/4" or 12" don't mean nuthin' (bad grammar intended). How the bow shoots is the ticket. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Roy

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2013, 08:31:44 pm »
Good post Ole Boy:)