Author Topic: bamboo hickory pyramid bow  (Read 3441 times)

Offline svenole

bamboo hickory pyramid bow
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:51 pm »
Hi,im going to make 2 bamboo backed hickory pyramid shaped long bows.im going to use epoxy to glue the bamboo to the hickory,and one thing dont like is the bamboo i have is only 1 1/2 in. wide.i normally go from 2 in. and end at 1/2 at the nocks.one thing i could do is leave the bow straight for 6 in. and then start the taper to the nocks.what do you think?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: bamboo hickory pyramid bow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:30:20 pm »
Uff da!  Vat happened, Svenole?  Didja cut it twice and it vas still to narrow?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline svenole

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:38:40 pm »
No i ordered it from 3 rivers archery,it came that way 1 1/2 inchs wide .....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:43:58 pm »
I have no idea how you are going to squeeze 2 inches of width from it.  Looks like you are going to have to settle for 1.5" wide at the fadeouts.  Give yourself a few extra inches of length from your usual design to compensate for lack of width and you may avoid picking up much set. 

Offline svenole

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »
yes it will have to be 1 1/2 in....ill have to go thicker than normal........hickory 3/4 ...then the bamboo and ill have something work with..........right? handle 1 1/8 ....2in. fadeouts straight for 6 in. then tapered to 1/2 or 3/8 in at nocks.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:58:44 pm »
How about some basics, like your draw length and what draw weight you are interested in hitting?

Offline svenole

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:03:16 pm »
draw 28 in. 50# or 55# wieght

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 02:44:29 pm »
I think if you give yourself 66" or even a little more, a pyramid bow starting at 1.5" wide at the fade outs would be just fine. 

Now the boo is stronger in tension than the hickory is strong in compression.  That means you will want to be very careful when tillering to NEVER pull more than the weight you will want when the bow is finished.  In fact, don't pull more than 40 lbs in the tillering process until you are down to the final push to hit draw weight and draw length!  That's going to help prevent picking up set. 

Then, you may want to consider a cross section on your limbs of a trapezoid...also known as "trapping the back".  Make your belly 1 3/4 wide at the fades and 1 1/2 wide on the back.  This will give you more hickory on the belly to resist compression. 

Take all this with a grain of salt, or maybe a 2 lb container of Morton's Iodized Salt since I have never built a boo backed hickory bow.  But I've played one on t.v.

Any of you 'boobackers wanna chime in here?

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:15:14 pm »
I have a bamboo backed hickory that I just finished two weeks ago after seeing someone selling one. I was really just doing it as a "will this work" but it turned out well. It's 1 1/2" at the fades and tapers to just over 1/2". The hickory is just over 1/2" thick at the fades. It actually pulls 70 lb at 28" so I don't think you'll have any trouble getting your draw weight, however mine is 70" NTN (due to my 31" draw). If I could change one thing in how I made it it would be to have filed in slightly more reflex. I reflexed it 3/4" in glue up (actually the form was 1 1/4" but that's how much held) and after two weeks of regular shooting I'm at 1 1/2" of string follow. Even then it's still easily the best bow I've done (so far).

Offline svenole

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 11:10:09 am »
thanks guys

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 02:21:56 pm »
Geez, wish you woulda posted this 2 weeks ago.  I had some bamboo strips that were over 2" wide.  I made wooden spoons outta it.   :-[
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »
If the backing is only 1.5" wide but you want it 2" wide max then just trap the belly lam from the edges of the backing.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 03:08:28 pm »
Have made a number of bb bows,would estimate it to triple the draw weight.It is prone to crystal or even frett out the belly,so trapping the back is a good idea!fastests bows I have made to date!think my favorite is a bbelm 72" long 55@28 elb for target shooting.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline svenole

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 03:46:24 am »
thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)