Author Topic: Need some input on an Erc Molly (making progress)  (Read 2649 times)

Offline KShip85

Need some input on an Erc Molly (making progress)
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:35:35 pm »
I need some input on an experiment bow.  The way I glued this up might not make it but I wanted to use it to learn for a future bow.  The belly is from a ERC board that I cut and plained down from a log.  The back was my attempt at cutting some hackberry backing strips.  The grain isn't perfect so I'm not sure if I need to add another backing to protect it.  I've got some thick brown paper backing I was considering using and then painting.  Would that add enough protection to the hackberry?  Also I am wondering what draw weight I should go for.  I'd like to hit 35 lbs at least but wouldn't mind pushing it more either.  Currently the bow is 52" long, 4" handle 1" fades for 6 stiff inches.  Levers are set at a little under 60/40 limb to lever and the top limb is 1" shorter than the bottom.  I'd like to get at the very least 24" draw but would rather push it to 26" or more.  This is not a prestine ERC board as it has several knots, two which had to be filled on the edge of the limb.  I anticipate this has a poor chance of surviving but want to see what I can do with it.  Here are some pictures of it where it's at:

Kip

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:00:31 am by KShip85 »
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Need some input on an Erc Molly
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:39:05 pm »
looks like it should make it to me! go for it!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:40:08 pm »
you can always make another
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:29 am »
You have only 23" or less of working limb and lever so that would be your max safe draw length. 52" - 6" = 46"
total limb length. Divided by 2 = 23"   cheers fiddler49

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:41 am »
If you make it bend in the handle you can squeeze it out to 26" Max. And that's if you do everything right and the wood cooperates. And keep it in the 40's poundage wise n no more.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:11:50 am »
Grab a helmet and be VERY, VERY careful with that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline smoke

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:21 am »
What ahout putting some sinew on the working portion of the limbs?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:51:30 am »
I'm with PD.  It's on the edge design wise.  Hope it stays together for you and all are proved wrong.  But if she blows it will be spectacular.  Dress appropriately.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 01:05:22 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys.  I've decided I'm going to try for 40 lbs at 25".  That way I push it some but hopefully still give it a shot at surviving.  Like I said, more than anything this is a trial to see how it responds with this design.  I have a 58" naturally deflexed ERC stave that I plan on decrowning and backing sometime.  I have a heavy paper backing glueing on right now and might glue on one more layer just for a little added protection.  Thanks again for the help!

Kip

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:24 pm »
Wicked. First hackberry backing I have ever seen!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline KShip85

Re: Need some input on an Erc Molly (making progress)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:17 am »
Well, I've managed to make some progress with my experiment and in typical gung ho fashion removed more wood than I wanted to shaping/floor tillering and am way under weight.  I've got it out at 23" pulling right around 20 lbs.  Top limb has taken more set than bottom and I think I've got a slight hinge out of the fade.  I still have a lot of mass to remove in the levers/transition.  I do think I like the overall design and look forward to trying it on a bigger stave with more weight.  No full draw pic yet as my camera operator is in bed.  Here is a look of where I'm at...

I ended up with two layers of heavy paper backing which I do not love but was worried about the grain in the hackberry at what I originally was shooting for weight wise.  I think it would have been fine with this low weight.  Think this one will end up going to a friends son who took an interest in my bow while I was target shooting one afternoon.

Kip

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 02:05:03 am »
not bad! i like it!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:35:18 am »
Yes it's hinged out of the left fade - where the set is.
You were pushing it! Go longer next time. 64 as a minimum.

Offline gpw

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:59 am »
  There’s always a quick cable backing to raise the weight and make it safer...  Just an idea ... primitive !   

Offline KShip85

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:35:43 pm »
Yes it's hinged out of the left fade - where the set is.
You were pushing it! Go longer next time. 64 as a minimum.

Yeah, I knew I was asking a bit much from this piece.  I do feel good about heading forward with my real project.  I've got a 58" stave I'm planning on cleaning up and then splicing in levers.  I'd like to end up at about 66" with it.

Gpw, I might give the cable backing a try, need to read up on it though as I've never tried it.