Author Topic: just curious (about oak trees)  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Newindian

just curious (about oak trees)
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:50:58 am »
always hear about white oak being a great bow wood, is this specifically white oak or dose it extended to the other whites like live oak and what about all those other oaks has anyone made successful bows from them?
I like free stuff.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: just curious (about oak trees)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:20:08 am »
In general, all oaks are good bowwood - but some are better than others. White oaks are supposedly better than red oaks.
Run a search for any wood species to find out about things that have been discussed about it in the past.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:09:07 am »
I personally like white oak better than red oak. Of course it could be that the white oak I have worked was more dense than the red oak I have worked. I have heard that live oak is very similar to osage.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:18:47 am »
   I've made a couple bows frokm live oak and dozzens from OSAGE. It dos'nt come close to OSAGE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eastman

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:26 am »
Here's 2 links to threads where guys have made Heavy bows (warbows) from oak. So to me it seems if it has good density it will make a fine bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22095.msg300001.html#msg300001

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35441.msg466544.html#msg466544

''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:36 pm »
    I'm  a  big  fan  of  white oak!!!   the leaves  are  rounded,,,  redoak  the leaves  are  more pointed,,in  my neck of the  woods  JeffW