Author Topic: How to Explode a Bow, ...or... My horrible erc attempt  (Read 6313 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: How to Explode a Bow, ...or... My horrible erc attempt
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 03:13:06 pm »
Welp, it blew up already.  ;D Job well done,  ;). Before I could even get it braced no doubt. I told you you were being too optimistic okie64. Although I did have it bending alot farther past where brace height would of been on the longstring, exercising the limbs a bit before I get er braced, or I was figuring at the time, when the bottom limb blew. Really, it would of only been about 50# or so I would think, not much more. If anything I would blame the silk, as the tiller was pretty good, and it did seem to fail before anything else. Never using silk again. I figure if I had used the good strong linen I had been using for the past couple years, I figure at this weight and length it wouldn't of failed by any means. This silk was the only 100% silk I can get locally, so this will be the last time I use silk as a backing. Funny enough, it didn't fail at that knot, or raise a splinter from a run off, it actually just out right broke where the grain was pretty good without any run offs?  ??? lol I think the bottom limb was probably too short for how I was working it too, I gotta get into the swing of things again, I'm too used to working osage and hackberry where I don't have to treat the wood like a time bomb.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:16:08 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline autologus

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »
Such is the challenges of working boards.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 03:49:00 pm »
Nice effort anyway. If I do another silk backing for protection rather than cosmetics, I will try the multiple layers thing. You probably could have done your linen then put silk over it to hide the linen.  Next time though eh?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 04:13:24 pm »
Nice effort anyway. If I do another silk backing for protection rather than cosmetics, I will try the multiple layers thing. You probably could have done your linen then put silk over it to hide the linen.  Next time though eh?

Ya. This was a scrap piece anyway. I just got a little carried away with the nocks,  ;D. I would of done linen but the only linen I had wasn't the heavier stronger stuff I usually use, but some lighter brown linen I picked up recently. I did a couple break tests and it broke before the silk I had broke, so I ended up going with the silk, which ended up breaking anyway.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:50 pm »
Sexy boards and sexy babes.  Sometimes we ask her out, and know going in, that we are staring at an epic fail.....but on the off chance we're successful :)  Way worth it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 06:05:41 pm »
Sexy boards and sexy babes.  Sometimes we ask her out, and know going in, that we are staring at an epic fail.....but on the off chance we're successful :)  Way worth it.

Ha, made me laugh out loud.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:32 pm »

Ha, made me laugh out loud.

haha me to
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"