Author Topic: winter cut hickory bark removal  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

winter cut hickory bark removal
« on: December 31, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »
In mbb 1 in the section of cutting and curing wood it mentions to remove the bark from winter cut hickory you can put it in a hot steamy shower for 20 minutes and then peel it off. Does the author mean to actually let the water run over the stave or does he mean to let it sit in the steam?

Offline burchett.donald

Re: winter cut hickory bark removal
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:56 pm »
   That's to remove cambium layer.
                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:11:22 pm »
I'd likento hear any advice on this myself. If I can get a head start on drying some ahead of spring I'd love it.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »
last hickory i cut was in late winter. split and sealed it immediately, left it in the garage a cupla weeks.
tapped it with a hammer and the bark all just came off in one big hunk
wild women don't get the blues

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:03:59 pm »
I put hickory in a hot shower with the water running over it for about 1/2 hr, with the bark on, and it does make it easier to remove. I rotate the stave at 15 minutes.

My wife is never too keen about this practice.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:46:09 am »
i'll have to give this a try  while my wife is out!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:28:02 am »
Good question Lee and good luck.Otherwise it's a slow careful removal if you want that nice primitive look on the back,and I've never had any winter cut hickory bark ever just fall off myself.Spring and summer yes and pulled off in strips.I've heard of guys lightly pounding on the bark to loosen it etc.but that has never worked well for me either,and I do a lot of hickory here.Maybe there is something I can learn about this yet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:06:02 am »
Well i'll keep you guys updated. Probably will cut some hickory this weekend when I get some time

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »
Been scraping a lot of hickory backs lately. Gonna have to try this. Although I find it easy to scrape the bark off. Ihowever is like to pull it off in long strips. I've been experimenting with hickory bark for bow strings. It's incredibly strong stuff. Made a 2' string with a thickness comparable to dacron. Hung a 70lb weight from it and dropped the weight and the string didn't break. Maybe the steaming would allow me to pull longer strands off so I won't have to splice in so many pieces to get a full bow string.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct