Author Topic: fishing gorge secrets?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

fishing gorge secrets?
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:10:05 am »
I am going to be trying to catch some small catfish next weekend with a cordage line and gorge. I have never done it before and have a feeling I will fail.   Are there any secrets i need to know?  You you let them keep the bait a while longer to work it down or do you snatch em up quick before they feel the gorge????   0
I know I need to size my gorge for the fish I am catching. they will mostly be small cats, nothing big I don't imagine, (so I am told anyways).
Do you need to set the hook to lodge it in their throat or will they set it themselves when they run?  I have watched some youtube videos but I havent found anything overly informative or anyone catching anything bigger than a 3 inch panfish
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline seabass

Re: fishing gorge secrets?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »
i believe you set the gorge really quickly to lodge it in their mouth before the spit it out.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stickbender

Re: fishing gorge secrets?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:34:13 am »

I saw a video on catfish fishing without a hook, and they guy, just put a chunk of meat, or ball of cheese, in a cheese cloth, and tied it on his fishing line, and when he felt the catfish take the bait, he just gently pulled it up, and pulled it into the boat.  I can't remember if he used a net or not, but I don't think so.  They are like crabs in that they do not want to lose the bait.  All he had to do was touch the fish, and it usually let go of the bait.  Good luck with the gorge, I don't think you will have any problems with it.  You should be able to get three or four tries before they wise up.

Wayne