Author Topic: hackberry stave-too deflexed?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
hackberry stave-too deflexed?
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:47:31 pm »
got a question for any hackberry bowmakers,
i've been avoiding this stave.  a hackberry 58.5 " t to t , it naturally deflexed after splitting.   now two summers heat-treated in the barn rafters.

is this one possibly TOO deflexed? when i start shaving it down is going to curl back even more? it also has a little propellering.
what are your thoughts and suggestions?
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: hackberry stave-too deflexed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:02:45 pm »
If the belly is facing up, that's a reflexed stave.  And, being less than 60" long, I would say that's WAY too much reflex.  Not only will it be tough to string and hard to align, it will just be too much strain on a short unbacked bow with a non-working handle bending that much.  Try heating it out and giving it a new profile on a caul. 
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:06:28 pm »
I agree 100% with 4est. As you are reducing the reflex you can also take the twist out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:08:40 pm »
I would say get the handle bending then you can keep more of the reflex
I like free stuff.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 07:49:31 pm »
thanks for the advice!
pardon the mix up, still learning to speak boweeze
(like when learning the Wyandot language.. had to first learn a whole other english language just of linguisteez)
guess i need to make a "caul"...      ok... I assume a caul in the slight curved wood form used normally to reflex a deflex with heat and clamps?   

maybe i'll put it on hold
and tackle this HB stave after the coffee tree one i'm workin on....aren't those natural "flipped tips" something?  ((see i'm learning!))
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:57:22 pm »
Me personally id reduce the handle down to make it a bend in the handle bow and deflex it thru the handle and fades to make a reflex-deflex profile bow and make it a bendy handled bow. But that's just me....others advice is fine too...just more than one way to skin a cat

Offline richardzane

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »
blackhawk,
so  wack off most the thicker handle area , heat and clamp down only on the handle area? till it straightens or DEflexes a bit?
makes sense....sounds doable. thanks!   

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:35:33 pm »
Yup..thin it down for a bend in the handle bow n deflex it there....as long as there are no knots in the handle area it'll work....id get the stave floor tillered first so you can have the handle as thin as possible and it'll be easier n safer to make that heat bend n correction.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 08:39:18 pm »
You could just splice in some non-working outer limbs, and then take advantage of the reflex in the stave. Although that is alot of reflex. Fear not! Hackberry will surely not keep half of it after tillering!  8) Unless you heat treat it.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline richardzane

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:51:47 pm »
yeah i've sure learned about hackberry set.
i have a 50# that unstrung looks like its still strung. amazingly it still zings homegrown arrows great using a dogbane string.
this hackberry came from a 24" diameter windfall and produced the best staves i've found yet...no knots.

all right I'm going to sound stupid and need a little help with the term  "floor tillering"  as opposed to regular tillering .

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
Floor tillering is what you do when the bow is first starting to bend. one hand holds the top tip, the other hand pushes on the handle and you force the bottom tip into the ground to slightly bend the limbs. You can look down and get a rough sense for how the limb is bending. After the floor tiller stage many people will use a long string which should just be long enough to get on the bow with out bending it, no longer. You can use the long string to tiller it to a low brace, 3-4" and then go from there. I hope that makes sense. It's easier to do than to describe. Here's a picture of Gordon floor tillering a hazlenut bow from his build along.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:01:54 pm by Weylin »

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 11:19:30 pm »
Floor tillering is what you do when the bow is first starting to bend. one hand holds the top tip, the other hand pushes on the handle and you force the bottom tip into the ground to slightly bend the limbs. You can look down and get a rough sense for how the limb is bending. After the floor tiller stage many people will use a long string which should just be long enough to get on the bow with out bending it, no longer. You can use the long string to tiller it to a low brace, 3-4" and then go from there. I hope that makes sense. It's easier to do than to describe. Here's a picture of Gordon floor tillering a hazlenut bow from his build along.

The more building I do, and Breaking.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think that floor tillering tells me more than putting the darn thang on the Tiller Treee....         

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline richardzane

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:35:34 pm »
Weylin thanks!
guess i was doing something a little like that naturally just putting the tips on my shoe,
 before putting the first tiller string (stretchy nylon) on it.

would you do the same floor pressure for recurves?

Offline gpw

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 09:30:42 am »
  Rich, lots of Hackberry around here ...   makes fine bows , but a rawhide  ( or fiber/ sinew) backing isn’t a bad idea ...  The tillering process will compensate for all that reflex, and as said , a lot of it will pull out ...   Hackberry likes being wide limbed  ~ 2”

Offline richardzane

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 11:27:43 am »
gpw,
yeah ythanks, lots of nice HB here on our property here in NE Ok., seems more reliable than the hickory thats growing here.
i've not done a backed bow yet...but in this case wouldn't sinew drying reflex it even further? just curious.

one of the limits i set for myself in this whole thing is using that which is growing nearby: deer, turkey, chert, wild rose, hazel, dogbane, etc...
If i can't walk out and get it, then i'm not learning about the provisions of the land around me.
doesn't mean i don't cheat occasionally. :-)   (especially! when it comes to tools)