Author Topic: fletching placement?  (Read 4683 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
fletching placement?
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:04:26 pm »
How far back do you place the fletching? i made some arrows where the fletching is 1.5" from the base of the nock. not from the base of the arrow nock but from the saddle where the string clips. is this about right? visually it looks good, i was just wondering if there is a standard or something. thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline Kegan

Re: fletching placement?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:32:51 pm »
I like to put my feathers so the back of the fletch (not the wrap) is one inch from the end. Mostly because I can then just put the tip of my finger over and know exactly where to tie :D.

Seems that since most fletching simply stop the back of the arrow from kicking in front of the front, tat the farther they are backthe better. I dunno, just my thought on it.

Offline adb

Re: fletching placement?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:20:06 pm »
Hi,
The longer the feather, the higher the profile, the farther back on the shaft, and the more offset, the more steerage the feathers provide. The downside... more drag. I usually try to get my feathers as far back on the shaft as possible, without getting in the way of my fingers.

For flight arrows, I use 2" banna cut, no offset. For broadheads, I use 5" shield cut with helical fletch.