Author Topic: Bamboo Belly Tempering  (Read 2643 times)

Offline 0209

Bamboo Belly Tempering
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:37:09 am »
I'm working on a bow with a bamboo belly and am curious as to how I would go about tempering it.  I don't have a hot box, nor the time to build one.  Would a heat gun work fine for tempering the bamboo or is there another method of doing it thats simple and effective sans the hotbox.
Thanks and happy holidays.
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Gordon

Re: Bamboo Belly Tempering
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:19:39 am »
I don't see how you could temper bamboo in a heat box. A heat gun would be a good way to go.
Gordon

Offline 0209

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 03:27:46 am »
How do I know when its good to go?  Should it turn to a golden brown color?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »
you can use a heat gun in the same way as instructed in the bowyers bible for belly tempering, or you can do it over a fire that has burnt down to coals, or you can use charcoal, its obviously a question of getting the right distance from the heat source...not overly difficult buts takes some experience, so best to practice first on a scrap piece.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......