Author Topic: Tiller Check  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Josh Shuck

Tiller Check
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:11:38 pm »
Hello,

I was hoping the team here could provide a little guidance as I could spend three lifetimes and not get the expertise and knowledge that comes with this forum.  At any rate, it's a piece of ash, 70" tip to tip, a hair over a 1.5 out of the fades, a hair under a 1.5 at mid limb and tapering to .5" nocks.  I have also heat treated the belly.  I'm not a big fan of ash, but it's too late after I cut a big tree several years back and it's got quite a bit of early wood.  The limb on the left seems to be coming along pretty nicely, I would say maybe a bit whip ended but it's not taking much set.  I've seen quite a few people on here making some short, high poundage bows that I would say are whip ended but it's seems to be trend I think - must be reason I'm thinking.  The right limb is giving more fits, it's starts with a bump just before mid limb, goes into a slight reflex, then deflex and reflex again. 

What's the consensus?

Thanks for the guidance and have a happy holidays!

Offline RyanY

Re: Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »
Too much bend in the inner limb and not enough in the outer limb. When tillering wavy limbs like that just make sure that the thickness taper is nice and even through out it.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:17:35 pm »
Without the circle, oh and I forget to mention that the right limb is starting to take some set.  I am thinking I must not be a getting an even distribution of force across the limb...

Thanks again!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »
Look at the bow unbraced and see where the set is occurring. If its in one particular spot then that area is over stressed. If its over the whole bow then you maybe be asking too much of it.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »
Thanks ryoon.  Would you touch the fades or work on the mid to tip area?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 03:05:23 pm »
I wouldn't touch the faded at all right now.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 04:15:46 pm »
Well got the tips working more.  Looking pretty good, I thought.  Started to raised a splinter, glued it up and went back to working and KABOOM!

LOL oh well not the first and probably not the last.  Little bummed because it was supposed to be a Christmas present.  I wonder in hindsight if I got it too try from toasting the belly.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 04:41:37 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Where did it break?

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 04:45:38 pm »
It started to raise the splinter about 18 inches from the handle on the right limb.  No ring violations, nice, sides were nice and rounded... Time to have a homebrew!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »
Bummer, man. Better luck next time, I know how it feels.