Author Topic: Hackberry Sapling  (Read 1948 times)

Offline DavidV

Hackberry Sapling
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:03:40 pm »
I'm working on a hackberry sapling right now and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. The stave itself is 61" and it is 1.5" wide in the middle, tapering to 1/2" tips. A little short and not much width to compensate. I think I'm going to go with a simple D-style bow with a bendy handle but I may flip the tips if there would be any benefit.

Also, could someone explain heat treating without a heat gun. And at what point is heat treating done? When it is completely tillered?
Springfield, MO

Offline okie64

Re: Hackberry Sapling
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:12:34 pm »
I heat treat my bows when I have them tillered out to 20" or so. I have also done it when the bow was completely tillered. Hackberry needs to be heat treated or it will take some set. Ive only done it once without a heat gun, I reverse braced it and heated it over hot coals from a campfire. I like using a heat gun better, i feel like I have better control. That hackberry sapling should make a fine bow, be sure to post some pics. I love hackberry

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:13:37 pm »
I dont see why you would not be able to make a bow from that.  I wrote up a little post on heat treating over coals, that you can read on my blog http://echoarchery.blogspot.com/   I heat-treated after getting about 18" draw, then tillered it to near full draw and did a second heat treating.  Then some minor tiller touch up and it is shooting. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:42:14 pm »
you can heat treat with your kitchen stove, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:11:41 pm »
Pretty much all my bows have been from pieces like what you're talking about. It's totally doable. I heat treat my bows in front of my wood stove, over hot embers or coals. Usually after a heat-treatment you'll have to adjust the tiller.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.