Author Topic: Something strange...  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Something strange...
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »
So, I took the paint off my sinew backed Osage and put burmese python skins on it. This bow had been through about 5-600+ shots at around 55# when it had the paint on it and not a single issue. Well, I've recently strung it and when I get it back to about 22-23", my usual draw being about 26-27". I occasionally here a very slight tick/crack sound.

Now, it's very dry in my house on account of the cold weather and everything. Can this have something to do with it? I don't think there are any flaws with the bow or too high a weight, since the weight dropped a couple pounds while putting on the python skins. Anyone else have any issues like this? Could it be low moisture content? My only other thought is that the sound might be coming from the nocks(just a simple filed out nock). Perhaps the strong is pulling on the grain of the wood. Although, I don't think it would since nocks have angled sides and the string pulls down into the rings as opposed to perpendicular. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Josh Shuck

Re: Something strange...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »
What did you use for glue?  Too much hide glue makes a noise that sounds identical to breaking wood.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »
TBIII, plus the snake skin has 6-7 thin coats of tru oil on it.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:46:56 pm »
My bet is on the glue still.  Did you use hide glue when you applied the sinew?  The last sinewed bow I made did the same thing.  It was within the first few draws but maybe yours is just getting a chance to fully dry with the low humidity.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
No, used TBIII for the sinew as well. I might just leave it sit until spring and see what it does with a little more humidity in the air.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 08:49:05 am »
Sounds like a sliver popped under your skins. Losing weight by adding skins never happens, somethings wrong under there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 10:30:24 am »
What did you remove the paint with would be my question? it could be that you may have violated the integrity of the sinew bond when you did that and thats the reason for loosing a little poundage. Or it could be the TBIII thats cracking a bit and that the poundage loss is due to the sinew having obsorbed moisture from the glue and needs to cure out a bit again to regain its lost tension. Or as said above it could be a splinter that has lifted due to the sinew bond being weakened by the paint removal.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 11:51:43 am »
I removed the paint with a paint scraper that I use for chasing rings. The back was reduced to a single ring and the bellies were sanded a bit when I removed the finish. I think that coupled with the moisture account for the weight loss.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 11:56:08 am »
Correction. The back was reduced before sinew backing back in August. The bellies were sanded just recently. I believe that the sinew and bond to the back of the bow are strong. I guess time will tell. 

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »
Update: It is no longer making any noises. I'm wondering if perhaps, somewhere in the combo of glue,skin and multiple coats of tru oil, something was just stretching and settling in? At any rate, thanks for the ideas and I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again. :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 10:28:02 pm »
Many times on a new string the knots will slip just a tick ( literally ) and make my heart stop and face wince. Also, if the nock design isnt right and the string on the draw ( especially if it does it in the same spot every time like you mentioned ) hits a ridge or corner on the nock, it will tick as it slides past it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 12:34:42 am »
Thats good news.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God