Author Topic: ironwood  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

ironwood
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »
I just got ahold of a nice ironwood log that i'm gonna split into staves shortly. Do you treat ironwood like a whitewood?
Meaning can I rough it out and let it dry by my woodstove? Also I don't have a moisture meter so i'm not sure when exactly it has reached the moisture content suitable for making a bow, so how long would you guys say it would have to dry, if it is roughed out, right next to a woodstove, which is burning 24/7, before I can tiller it?
Sorry hope that wasn't to confusing

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: ironwood
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:51:17 pm »
There are a lot of woods that are called "iron wood" beech, various species of hornbeam, and oceanspray.

You would be risking checks if you put it next to the wood stove. Most of us have a small hot box to aid the drying process.

Here's how I do it: split the log into staves. Remove bark (if needed for said species). Seal the ends with a wax, shellac or wood glue. But the wood in a cool dry place and let sit for a year.
Or after splitting rough out the width of a bow leaving it wide all the way to the tips to avoid lateral warping. Floor tiller. Seal the roughed out bow (ends and back) then check it in a month(or if in hot box, check every couple days).
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »
ONe way to tell if wood is dry enough is the following:

If you have a scale that can measure ounces, rough the stave out and weight it and record its weight.  Set it in a warm dry place. Weight it again in two weeks, again in one week, and every couple days after that.  When you aren't losing any (or only minuscule amounts of wight), or if you graph it when the weight loss becomes asymptotic, you are probably about dry enough.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »
I do have a scale at work I can use. I would like to get it dry asap because I do not have a backup bow at the moment and I broke the yew I was working on because I didn't listen to the guys here and tried to take some twist out of the limbs! :'( Oh well learn me a lesson eh

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
Oh and this is hop hornbeam my cousin said

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:16:41 pm »
Hop hornbeam is very good bow wood.  Rough out a bow and get it to floor tiller stage.  Then put it in your house or somewhere warm and dry.  Like Pinecone said, putting it by the woodstove might dry it to fast and cause checks in it.  Get your cousin to cut you a few more logs.  Split them up and let  them start seasoning while you work on this one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 04:47:30 pm »
will do I will put it in my closet. It is still warm and dry but not extremely hot