Author Topic: savage model 99 in 300.... Should i????  (Read 3080 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
savage model 99 in 300.... Should i????
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:03:54 pm »
There is a Savage model 99 in 300 at a local pawn shop for $450 in great conditon...  I really want it.  It's a want and not a need.  BUT I sure want it...  I am thinking about putting it on layaway...  What do ya'll think?  How is it for a deer rifle?

Cipriano

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: savage model 99 in 300.... Should i????
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:19:21 pm »
I  don't   want  to  be  the  little  devil  telling  you  to  buy it,,,but  just  a little story  first,,,,here in central NY  they  just opened  up a  lot  more area for  rifle hunting   we  were  shot gun only,,,,,,so  I got  my  30-30  and  my  .243 ready  thinking  cool  I'll just  get some  new  dies and start  reloading  these  like I  do  for my pistols,,,,,well  let  me  tell you  how  the  prices  have  changed  over  the  years!!!!!   now  I  can't  stand  owning  some thing that  is  too  expensive  to  shoot!!,,,,,come  to  think of it  that  is probably  why  most of  us  are  here  on  P.A.?????  so  think about  that  and  how  you  will  fund  a  day at  the  range, cause  with  the  prices  it's  sucks  going  to the range  for  an  hour  and  dumping  $75.00  on three  boxes of  ammo!!!  so  good  luck .  JeffW

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »
the 99 is one of the best of it's kind i have one in 250-300 and it is a great little rifle. if i had the money i would get it
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »
Dont think you should pass it up a 300 savage isnt expensive to reload for and you wont find another good one for that price.
Now is the good old days

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:00:21 pm »
I've been shooting a .300 Ruger #1 for a few years now. I like itand have never had to blood trail anything I've hit with it. I have all the ammo I need for a few years. Most of it was found at old sporting good stores, Flea Markets and gun shows for around $20 a box.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:33:12 pm »
that is a great rifle at a good price.i have always wanted  one.it would be a great deer rifle Cip.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 06:17:03 pm »
I have a Savage 99E in .308 and love it. It is not so heavy as to wear you out toteing it around and I have always like a lever action gun. I bought mine from a guy for $150 with a 4x scope and most of a box of shells.  ;D  A few years ago I put a 3x9x40 on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:16:38 am »

Excellent little rifle!  But if you can get ammo for it too, that is a plus.  that is not a REAL common caliber, but it can be found.  If you can get some brass, and a simple reloader, like an O frame of various brands, and a set of dies, and de-capper, and primer, and measure, and scales, And a good reloading book, Speer, Hornaday, etc. you will be in business.  The caliber just never really caught on real well, but is an excellent round.  Go for it! >:D  My Dad had one in .303 savage, and he killed a lot of deer with it.  That thing sure would shoot!  I had bad dealings with Savage, and have not had anything to do with them since.  The older rifles like the 99 are great!

Wayne

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »
Thanks for all the info.. Well I broke down and put it on layaway :laugh: I looked on line and they go for near $600. I'm hoping to convince the wife to "let" me get it out before Christmas and put it under the tree for Diego Man :) We shall see..

I figured if he's going to hunt he may as well hunt in styke :D

What's the recoil like on it?

Wish me luck :o

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »
Probably like any other .30 cal gun maybe more. Being a lever action you don't have the reload mechinism like an auto load would that reduces the recoil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Adam

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 01:54:14 pm »
Congratulations!  Getting a new rifle is always an exciting time.  I'm sure you'll enjoy the 99.

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 04:35:15 pm »
your son is a tough boy.i am sure he will be able to handle it.if it don't work out,get a hold of me and i will take it off your hands.i have always wanted one in that calibre.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 01:39:28 am »
I bought a weatherby .300 mag a few years ago and it kicks like a mule.  It came with a muzzle break ( I would hate to see it before that was put on), then I put a limbsaver pad on it and that helped alot.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 11:44:32 am »
Oooo boy! That young man is gonna have Christmas!  ;)

Scott