Author Topic: 36" billet ideas  (Read 1245 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
36" billet ideas
« on: December 16, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »
I recently picked up 2 36" sister osage billets that hopefully will end up as a nice 2 pc takedown...anyway I was able to get a good belly split off of one of the billets, so herein lies the question.  I'm feeling a little bit adventurous, but I don't really want to waste the wood on someting thats bound for doom from the start either. Any ideas from the crowd??

A ) 36" plains style bow? I haven't seen anyting this short mentioned in any books Ive read on the subject.
B ) splice some pieces on the ends for a molly-ish bow kind of like the osage/cedar combo that was posted not too long ago
C ) splice on some syiahs
D ) put it in the wood pile until I get another osage billet to splice with it

blackhawk

Re: 36" billet ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »
If you have 1 1/2"+ or more of usable width for the whole length, and its fairly clean and straight I would splice at least 10" of additional length to each limb using levers/siyahs and make a 56" bend thru the handle bow that has the potential to pull 28" easy unbacked if done right. And narrow the handle section to an 1 1/4". But that's just me and my biased opinion for such bows ;)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 04:23:07 pm »
how wide is it? if it is wide enough, i have often thought of glueing shallow angled siyah's like the tips of that bulletwood recurve and have it bend circular through the middle.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Yup, what blackhawk said :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »
That sound like a good plan. It's 1 3/4" at the narrowest and clean, only 2 tiny pin knots. It has one sideways bend to it but shouldn't be much of a problem to straighten that out with a little heat.  Off to the wood pile to find some victims to splice on the ends!