Author Topic: Machete Blade Trade Points  (Read 6981 times)

Offline Dictionary

Re: Machete Blade Trade Points
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:52 am »
Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. Thanks for sharing that Halverson.So after the quenching in oil, i temper by putting it in the kitchen oven for an hr and a half.

Just one last questions.

I know that the metal has been heated up enough for quenching in oil if it is bright red right?

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline agd68

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:48 am »
One point I forgot to mention. When you quench them drop a peice of hot metal in to heat the oil up first. When you quench you blade submerge it either point first or edge first. DO NOT lay it in the oil flat, this will cause the blade to warp. Do not move the peice from side ti side while it cools or it can warp as well. Once the hissing and sizzling stops check the blade, if there is some minor warping you can hammer it flat while it is still warm.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline agd68

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 09:36:03 am »
For arrow heads bright red should be fine.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 12:35:12 pm »
I know exactly how you feel. Ive been Doing most of my building (bows, arrows, knives,) all without power tools. I forge the knives and have been working on forging arrow heads which is more delicate process than I had imagined. I built my first forge literally out of a tin washtub, 3 3/4 gallon, a black Iron pipe for the teier and a mixture of hard wood ash, sand and yep cat litter. (the cheapest kind that is 100% natural earthen clay) It works fine and I use hardwood charcoal for the fuel. For air you can attatch a hairdryer to an extension to the tier or an old champion blower (theyre pricey) or make a bellow. I had a lot of fun building mine and it works beautifully. Theres a picture of it here...http://primaltorch.blogspot.com
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
  JW where can I get a copy of your friends book.
  SOUND GREAT , I collect any books like that I can get.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 12:18:00 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. Thanks for sharing that Halverson.So after the quenching in oil, i temper by putting it in the kitchen oven for an hr and a half.

Just one last questions.

I know that the metal has been heated up enough for quenching in oil if it is bright red right?

the best way to know if the metal is hot enough is to check it with a magnet. The idea is to bring the steel to non magnetic. Color always depends on steel, I have to bring O-1 to an orange color and quench to harden it. Also and i dont know if this matters for arrowheads but the steel wont matter how hot you heat it up and quech it if there isnt enough carbon in the steel it wont hold an edge. Being a Mechette tho I cant imagine it wouldnt have carbon in it. Best would be high carbon steel.

Hope this helps!
Not all those who wander are lost.