Author Topic: Bronze field piles?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Whitebeam

Bronze field piles?
« on: December 22, 2012, 05:57:40 pm »
Here's an odd question...

I'm currently trying to make a bow in the style of the local late neolithic/early bronze age for educational use at the Cranborne Ancient Technology Centre (http://www.ancienttechnologycentre.co.uk/). Whilst the original owner of the bow (look up the 'Amesbury Archer) had flint points (Sutton type b and c), these won't be very long-lived for demonstrating archery to the kids - I'm wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get something like modern field piles but made in bronze. I know it's stretching the idea some, but it's as near authentic as I can make it ;-)

Peter

Offline Scowler

Re: Bronze field piles?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:00:11 am »
Thanks for the link.  Pretty cool site.  I'm assuming that the term "piles" means "points" (sorry, I'm only 1/2 english).  If so then I found some brass points on the Three Rivers site here in the U.S. (www.3riversarchery.com).  I know that they are not bronze but perhaps they would work well enough?  Good Luck and Happy Holidays from the states.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:27:23 am »
Peter, you could try and find out where the scots guy from BBC "Coast" got his made for another programme. He had a 3 sided broadhead style pile in bronze which was absolutely beautiful. In fact I think the programme was about the Bronze Age.....
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Whitebeam

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:04:14 pm »
I will hopefully be attending a bronze symposium again this year at the Ancient Technology Centre, so will ask about then.

Mind you, I've thought a bit more about this and will try to beat some simple conical points out of old water pipe - this will better suit the era of the Amesbury Archer anyway, as he lived in the (very brief) British Copper Age; he had a copper knife at his belt, not a bronze one.

Peter

Offline Whitebeam

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 05:52:19 pm »
Ten minutes work with some 15mm heating pipe and a hammer and I have this head, which will  do me nicely.

Note that I just stuffed it onto the end of a raw hazel shaft for the picture - I'll mount it properly later. The bows aren't meant to be chalcolithic period BTW.

Peter

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »
Nice job on the point. Woodland Indians did the same thing in NA.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?