Author Topic: not a bow, but same concept, slingshot thread possibly?  (Read 4452 times)

Offline huntertrapper

not a bow, but same concept, slingshot thread possibly?
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:22:26 pm »
man i haven't harvested any game with my bow in awhile but when im in urban areas i always have a slingshot. missed a squirrel a bunch of times then the flock this one was in. Took three aerial shots but finally connected. my first slingshot kill. im workin on making this thing a slingbow so i can bow hunt and fish while out and abouuut. anyone else hunt with slingbows and shots, any photos? take care people
Modern Day Tramp

Offline seabass

Re: not a bow, but same concept, slingshot thread possibly?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:02:11 pm »
that pic brings me back.my grandpa was a master at shooting things with his slingshot.he was 84 when he died,but had that slingshot till he died.nothing lasted long in his yard or garden.thanks for the pics.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:41:21 am »
I have shot a "flip" as we call them most of my life.
Still got a Maple flip stock that I made when I was about 12 years old.
It is one of the best I have ever seen.  Dont use it any more.  It is put up safe.

I have a steel wrist rocket and a Elm stock that I shoot now.

GOOD ammo will make a major difference in how well a "flip" works...
I prefer 45 cal Lead Balls.  But shuch ammo can be hard to fine when you are on the move.
Find some native clay and make up a bunch of 3/4" balls.  Let them dry,in the sun, for two days.
They shoot well at short range.

Give me a while and I will see if I can get a pix of my "flip stocks" posted.

Where are you hanging out these days???

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:13:57 am »
seabass. gotta love them old timers they can share so much info and stories. i learned my great grandfather was a hobo too and drove a model t across the country twice and ridgerunner thanks for that info! im going to try that and i hope to see some pics of your gear. im "home" now i guess you could say. been roofin with my father, sleepin here and there and still restless as all get out I imagine ill be on the road in less than a month or sooner
Modern Day Tramp

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:56:22 pm »
@huntertrapper - perhaps your path will bring you west - look me up if you do.
Ben

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:26:23 pm »
will do, been tryin get get to cali a few times but just didn't work out, my dad was in yosemite a few months ago. any one else hunt with the sling shots or slongbows
Modern Day Tramp

Offline agd68

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:00:03 am »
So what do them pigeons taste like ?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »
there not bad. there different tasting than a dove but still a good red meat.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »
We used to chase and shoot stuff somethin' awful with home made slingshots when we were kids. A guy was always on the look out for that perfect Y branched tree to make a new one! My Mom worked in the hospital, and she used to bring us home surgical tubing. Marbles were the projectile of choice.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 04:19:16 am »
     always had one in my back pocket when I was about six or so.
Knocked a pelican off of a boat dock, and my Dad took it from me for a couple
of days, the marina guy said he wished I had hit a few more, as they made a mess on the dock, and the boats.  I didn't kill it, I just knocked in in the water, and it took off.  I hit it in the body.  I wasn't trying to kill it, just trying to see if my sling shot would  knock it off the piling.  My Dad made it for me, and after that, I too was looking for "Y" shaped limbs on the surinam cherry bushes, or oaks.  Occasionally we would buy one.  Got a wrist rocket.  My Dad used to make them to shoot the jays that were taking the squirrel's peanuts he put out for them.  I used to bring him the Penrose bands,( elastic turnaquet bands ) we had on the rescue trucks.  Sometimes I would raid the supply room.  He didn't like the surgical tubing you can get at the hardware store, as they were too strong, for what he wanted it for.
There is an old guy in Ga. who is known as the slingshot man.  You can you tube him.  He - IS - good!! :o  Kept his family in meat with rabbits and squirrels, etc. when he was a kid during the depression. ;)  My Dad used to do the same when he was little boy.  They are a very versatile compact little weapon.  Just imagine if David had one! :o  Let us know how the sling bow goes.  When I was a little boy I used to put arrows in the slingshot.  Worked well, but not much power for hunting bigger game.  However I almost got around to making a crossbow with multiple bands, and a non flexible prod.  Never did do that.  Wish I had. :(
     As always be careful  and aware of your surroundings, during your travels.  Don't want a repeat of the incident in Louisiana!  Do you really want to travel during the winter?  Are you walking or driving?  Good luck either way.  Take your sling shot, and a couple of extra band and pouch set ups, in case of breakage, or loss, in one way or another. ;)
Take care, and say hi to your folks for me.  I will be here in Montana till around April.  Maybe March.  If you get out this way, you are welcome to crash for a while.  I need help splitting and stacking wood anyway, the warranty on my back has gone out..... ::) ;D ;D  Good luck.

Wayne   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:14:39 am by stickbender »

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:53 pm »
You can hunt anywhere with them. its awesome. And I got a whisker biscuit to shoot arrows and pop it down out of the way to shoot balls still. I'm going to get some inserts for the aluminum arrows to make them where they break down in half and can fit in a small case and be stuffed in my pack or the dogs even, i miss squirrels all the time but it is so much fun. thanks for the invitation stick bender i havent been to the northern rockies in years, got to the most southern tip of them in raton NM this spring while hitchin though. I will most certainly hit you up and hopefully have some meat or something to bring along. and i'm working on getting an AWD subaru to tramp in. what do you mean louisiana incident? never been there haha
Modern Day Tramp

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:53 am »

Incident?.......Hmmmm.......could be a KFC bad dream....... ::) :P ;)

Wayne

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 08:05:41 am »
Mwhahaha yes okay that was amarillo though it was buddy i was traveling with, but not for them two days, who got robbed. . . he got robbed pretty badly but still tramps quite often too
Modern Day Tramp

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 11:24:03 pm »
Here are the "flips" that I have.
Try as I might I can not find my steel wrist rocket. :'(
It is one of the old models that fold up.
The wife tell me that she thinks I loaned it out some time back....  I dought that.
Somethings I dont loan out.

The one on the left is Maple.  Made it when I was about 12 years old.  As good of a wooden flip stock as I have ever seen.
The one in the center is Elm.  Gave it to my Grandfather about 20 years back.  Got it back after he passed away.
The one on the right is also Elm.  It is the one I shoot now.  Yes it is small.  But it will fit into a shirt pocket.  Shoots real good.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »
very cool man i had man a few from the same type of form a simple forked branch but went back to my wrist rocket for most of my hunting with the black power bands
Modern Day Tramp