Author Topic: Kind of a Mystery  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Joe

Kind of a Mystery
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:29 pm »
This was a gift to my Grandfather from an unknown (to me) tribe while he was in the Military. Looks to be hand carved. I cocked it once years ago trying to figure out how it works. It's never been fired by me. The quiver, arrows and bow are in good shape. Wish I knew a bit more of it's history. When my Grandfather died in 1977 one of his so called collector friends barged in and demanded to buy it. My Grandmother refused. After all, we hadn't even buried him yet.  Any help or direction you good folks can offer would be greatly appreciated. ~j

http://s1303.beta.photobucket.com/user/zellasbar/media/IMG_9412.jpg.html (for all photos)

Offline bubby

Re: Kind of a Mystery
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:16 pm »
good pic of the arrows but need a better pic of the weapon itself, sorry about the JERK,"friend", that same thing happened to a good friend of mine, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 04:17:07 pm »
Joe contacted me yesterday because I have a crossbow just like this one that was his Grandfather's. I bought mine at a flea market many years ago for probably $5. The similarity are amazing between the one I have and Joe's. The plant fiber strings are similar, the wood is the same, the trigger is similar, the cross section of the bow and the shape are similar. Even the stocks are similar but not quite the same. It appears to me that both crossbows came from the same region but were made by different builders.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joe

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:05:30 pm »
Thanks guys - I posted a few more pics Bub but I don't know if they're any better than the others. And thanks Pat! I was excited to see your crossbow because I had never seen another which resembled mine - at all - I think you did quite good on your flea market find. Where's Antiques Road Show when you need em?  :D

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »
Looks like a Vietnamese or SE Asian crossbow to me. Lots of guys brought them back from the war and I've heard they were actually used in some instances by the Viet Cong and rigged in traps and stuff.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Joe

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »
That would make sense randman since he did serve in Vietnam. I was leaning towards the Philippines since that's what Pat suspected his weapon was from. Plus, Grandpa had been there as well. Just from looking at the patina of the piece it looks to have been used - but not much - Thanks for you input. 

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:36 pm »
Yes, Vietnamese would be my guess.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:30:51 pm »
that's pretty cool
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 11:48:09 pm »
The Phillipeans came to my mind because the wood looks like a type of mohogany but I guess there are types of mahogany all over S E Asia. Joe's crossbow and mine could easily be from Viet Nam. I have no history with mine beyond the flea market 25 or so years ago. I would like to know it's history.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:07:42 am »
The Phillipeans came to my mind because the wood looks like a type of mohogany but I guess there are types of mahogany all over S E Asia.
Interesting statement, since genuine mahogany does not come from Asia! The true mahogany genus Swietenia is indigenous to south- and central America. Another plant genus, commenly named '(African) mahogany' by timber suppliers, is the plant genus  Khaya from Africa.
There are undoubtedly woods that are misnamed 'mahogany' in Asia, but the statement "looks like mahogany, so it could be from Asia" is a false statement. None of the commenly traded timbers in our regions that are called mahogany come from Asia.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:13:16 am »
I also have one that came from Nam is the mid 60's that look a lot like that one,
bolts and quiver also look about the same,maybe a little smaller. Mine is really dark,wood is almost black and arrows are boo slivers fletched with some type of leaf. Very cool. It didn't have a string. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Joe

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 05:22:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Does anyone have a guess on how to assess the value of this? I am curious to know what if any potential buyers are out there. ~joe