Author Topic: bowstring q agian  (Read 1829 times)

Offline cawkazn

bowstring q agian
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:35:29 am »
i bought some heavy duty jute twine from home depot.....it said on it #530 x 190' and I thought to myself wow 530 lbs limit this is perfect. now I am realizing thats most likely not the case.  how many strands should i use to make the bow string? i think the load limit is like 3-7 lbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: bowstring q agian
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 07:15:09 am »
Use B-50 bow string.  Or artificial sinew.  I think you'll be happier.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:50:02 am »
Don't know for sure but I would say a lot :) I just wrapped a grip with that stuff and believe me it ant very strong,I could easily pull in into with my hands,I would be scared of it as a bow string,I'm with P B.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
80 to 100 strands should just about do it for a 50-60 lb bow . you may have to figure out an alternate method for nocking on your arrows,and you will also have to file out your nocks a bit on the bow. Might shoot a bit slow with the added  weight,but on the bright side it shouldn't cut int your fingers too bad when shooting :)  An investment in a roll of B50 or Fastflight  will save you a lot of trouble and should last quite a long time. I would recommend the smallest roll . Costs less and will allow you to experiment with other types and not have a huge roll of stuff that you don't use because you found something you like more. Some times the local bow shop will even put the stuff on sale when trying to turn over stock.The stuff you bought won't be wasted ,as it can make a pretty nice handle wrap.Especially on a more simple hunting ,no nonsense bow.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:23:53 pm by lostarrow »

Offline Roy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:19:21 pm »
Lostarrow, LMFAO:)

Offline cawkazn

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:38:06 am »
where can i get b50 or fast flight? what about linen? i heard that works?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:08:20 am »
3 rivers archery sells a lot of different kinds of bow string material including B-50.  They are a sponser of PA
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:35:04 am »
If you don't know how to make a flemish twist string out of B-50, Half Eye makes a cool string out of the 70# artificial sinew from 3-rivers. It looks way cool and traditional. He puts a loop on one end and bowyers knot on the other. Easy Peazy!! I just got some in and am going to try a few myself!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:22:28 am »
I'm sure you can find jute or other manufactured cordage that will work as a bow string but it is not made for that purpose and the consistancy and quality is not part of the manufacture. I would suggest using a material that is made for bow strings. If you want a natural material there are linens, etc that are high enough quality that they will work and work well for bow strings.
 If you don't have access to bow string material make a trade with someone for a string for your bow. For someone that makes their own strings it only takes a few minutes and at little cost to produce a string for and size or weight bow. Heck if you need a string I'll make you one and send it to you free of charge.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:08 pm »

Re: easy string
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 03:34:10 am »QuoteModifyRemovea real easy way is to cut a pc 30' long and put the two ends in a vice, then take a drill with a cup hook in the chuck and spin it to the right till it starts to kink, then take that end and put it in the vice with the others, then spin the other way til it starts to kink, take a pc of leather or a glove and rub some bees wax in it real good, tie a loop in one end and use a bowyers knot in the other, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹