Author Topic: Leather stitching...  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Leather stitching...
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:03:38 am »
I'm reworking a bow I did and I'm looking for something that will make a decent stitching for the handle wrap. I originally did it with red dacron b50, doubled up. It looked great originally, but has faded to a lackluster pink. Any suggestions on something that would equate to about that width and maintain it's color? I'm not married to the red stitching, so I'm open to suggestions.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Re: Leather stitching...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:09:54 am »
i might catch some flack for this one, but have you tried dental floss? its durable, doesnt biodegrade, and it has great tensile strength. i use it in all my leatherwork. i'vce even made a bowstring from it! great stuff.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:15:14 am »
Well as far as thread goes I like string serving better than actuall sting material for grip lacing. Personally I prefer flat leather goatskin lacing for most if my handles. It wears well and looks great but is kinda pricey in comparison :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:21 am »
Actually, I've got a few colors of serving thread. Maybe a black/red stitch with some string wax would hold up nice?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:20:59 am »
I like to use bracelet string that I get in the craft isle at walmart.  I buy a card that has black, light brown, and dark brown wrapped on it.  It is sturdy and the perfect diameter for stitching.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:56:25 am »
Kangaroo lace
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:55:32 am »
yep i like kangaroo lace to but when was first starting i used art. sinew and never had a problem
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »
I use artificial sinew to do all my leather stitching lately with good results. BTW, I believe dental floss and artificial sinew are very similar if not the same. I keep unwaxed dental floss in my archery tool box for emergency repairs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »
I believe you are correct on the artificial sinew and dental floss Pat. I've used silk floss, art. sinew, serving thread, and leather lacing. They all work, but the brightly colored stuff doesn't stay that way forever. I like the feel of leather lacing the best and it doesn't seem to want to cut the handle wrap leather as much.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »
I use Irish Shoemakers cord for all my stitching needs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »
Go to Wallmart or any sewing store. Buy a material cutting board, a straight edge (Long) and one of the circular razor cutters for material. They cut leather excellent. You can then make you own lacing as wide or narrow as you want. It will have about the same stretch as the wrap and wont tear out the leather.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
I use 70# artificial sinew for my leather......works great for me.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:44:53 pm »
Here is what I use most of the time.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »
Thanks for the tips, people. I bought some different types of threads at Walmart, including crochet thread. I'll post some pics in the near future when I rework the bow. Thanks again, fellas. :)