Author Topic: My first osage broke...Repairable? or scrapwood?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: My first osage broke...Repairable? or scrapwood?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:23 pm »
Congratulations, enjoy the warmth it gives off. O:)
1’—>1’

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 11:48:42 pm »
Wow, thank you all so much, I'm very happy to have joined yesterday. I just broke it a few hours ago and she's allready on the mend. I have a hackberry bow stave underway to a new bow, but its my only stave I don't have another. I'm new to this but highly motivated and determined to make my own, but lack material lol. I've started making arrows which is fun as well but again lack feathers lol. in time I wwant to gather my own fresh wood to split and stave, but for now I need to get more expeience before I take a tree in vein. I don't wantt o disrepect by cutting one down without proper expeiance on how to make a bow
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 11:51:03 pm »
what part of the country are you in? It may be that there is an experienced bowyer nearby that would be happy to help you out. That's how I started, I wouldn't be a 1/10th of the bowyer I am without their help. (not that I'm all that great)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:32 pm »
I'm in iowa actually, and there are two I know of and he gave me this stave of osage to start with, he is part of three rivers archery and has helped me a great deal, Ill ask him tomorrow, tho I know Dave is quite busy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 12:04:50 am »
Are you anywhere close to Burlington?  Iowabow lives there and he's one heck of a guy for helping out.  (Hey John...I just volunteered you!   >:D)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 02:55:23 am »
SF, I would cut that tree down and tear into it.  Make a bunch of different size and shape bows and learn as much as you can.  If every bow fails you can still use the wood for something so the tree won't go to waste.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: My first osage broke...Repairable? or scrap wood?
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:46 am »
Save the good limb, trash the other. Cut the good limb off at the opposite fade so you have plenty of handle to work into a new splice.

Here is quick how to;

Cut off the bad limb.

Flatten the back of the good limb to make it run through a band saw easier and straighter.

Draw a pattern on paper and glue it to the old and new.

Cut and fit.

Line up both limbs carefully, clamp and glue.

Add a handle piece for strength and to fill where we flattened the back.

Done, ready to tiller the new limb.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 04:47:36 pm »
I think this worked beautifully. I didnt want to change the bow in any way shape or form and the super glue seeped deep into the wood and bonded perfectly. I strung it, drew it, and i didnt feel or hear a single creek. Its resting now and I hope to shoot it again here soon. Im hoping to get another short bow started with Hickory or another osage but i dont have any I may have to harvest one somewhere. Unless someone wants to part with one?  ;)

Thank you all for the help! Im quite addicted now. :o
                                                                              -Joe (stalkingfox)