Author Topic: bowstring  (Read 13124 times)

Offline cawkazn

bowstring
« on: November 20, 2012, 02:11:07 am »
when I was younger i was really into making bows, i got pretty good at it for a kid. i want to get back into it but my time now as an adult is somewhat limited and i just dont have the time to dedicate to making my own primitive bowstring and i really dont want to hassle with making cordage out of non primitive material either. I am wondering what type of rope etc is readily available that I can just go buy and use as a bowstring, also as a tillering string as well. I want to be able to just walk into home depot or something and buy some rope that will get the job done. something like paracord or something but i believe paracord stretches alot.

whats your guys recomendation?

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: bowstring
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:19:24 am »
I dont think it would be a problem if you have it at a slightly higher brace and just left it strung for 10-15 mins before shooting, Its less stretchy than my nylon cord i use for my bows atm. I have 40 lb test string, but it was able to hold a 45lb bow. And when shot it was fine. I also had knots in it, which supposedly halved the strength of the string... so 20 lb bow string on a 45 lb bow. Paracord will work fine! i actually have used it, it barely stretches(maybe a bit more than Dacron but stops after full stretch. meaning it only stretches while its braced after it just doesnt move.) hope this helps. If nothing else, someone may be willing to trade you a string or something.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline cawkazn

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:29:52 am »
so basically paracord should be fine? meaning it will stretch at first but once its broken in it will be fine? I have broken bows trying to string them by over bending them to compensate for a stretchy string...lol

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:02:00 am »
Basically once its had a bit of time to stretch initially it doesn't stretch anymore. If you dont feel comfortable with putting it on a nice bow then i can try it with a board bow that i make way overpowered. It has to have a slightly higher brace as i said in order to achieve your desired brace. I would hope if someone has had a bad experience with it that they would chime in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:16:00 am by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:22:21 am »
The cord that is used for window blinds works well.  I think it's polyester cord and not nylon (polyester does not stretch as much).  Ask someone if the store caries 1/8" diameter cord for window blinds.

Most stores usually don't carry anything but nylon and other junk strings.  I bought a big roll of 1/8" polyester cord off ebay and that is what I used for bowstrings in a pinch.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:05:26 am »
I tried all sorts of strings when starting out and other than for tillering they are all no good.
Its easy enough to order a string online that's longer than you need and just tie a bowyers knot on one end to suit. If you spend all that time making a nice bow you dont want to hamper the performance with a sub-standard and stretchy sting.

1Brotherbill

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:37:29 am »
I tried all sorts of strings when starting out and other than for tillering they are all no good.
Its easy enough to order a string online that's longer than you need and just tie a bowyers knot on one end to suit. If you spend all that time making a nice bow you dont want to hamper the performance with a sub-standard and stretchy sting.

Agreed.  You wouldn't make a bow out of a balsam pine tree with a million knots in it.  Why use a string that has the potential of breaking your bow. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:36 am »
Go to 3Rivers and order a spool of B-50.  Including shipping it might be around $15 or less.  It will be in your mailbox in about 3 days.  You can twist up a lot of quality strings out of it. 

I tried tillering with some different Home Depot rope products.  I would string the bow and watch it go from a 5" brace height to 0" brace height in about 20 seconds.  It is very agravating.  I even tried stretching it out by hanging weights on the string when I wasn't using it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:04:41 am »
Go to a sponsor here and buy a couple of spools of B 50 of 2 different colors. Make up an endless or a Flemish string. I use hardware store blind cord for the long string but would never put it on a bow I slaved over. Time is always an issue but learning new things is fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »
I bought two 1/4# roll of Dacron B-50 and twisted up a tillering string and several Flemish loop bow strings.  It takes me about 20 minutes to do a fully twisted Flemish loop string that has a loop on one end and ties on with a bowyers knot on the other.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:31:00 pm »
I really urge you to reconsider using a cheap alternative from the local hardware store. the string of your bow is nothing to skimp on. And honestly I dont think those things are cheaper than a spool of B-50 or even fast flight when you  consider how many strings you can get out of a spool. I use fast flight exclusively and you can find a spool of it for around $25 online. It has some advantages over B-50 but B-50 is a little cheaper and will work just fine.