Author Topic: Need more eyes help  (Read 1953 times)

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
Need more eyes help
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:56:51 pm »
Hey gang, got this hickory @ 59" TT on the tree. I pulling around 9". been working slow getting to this point, have removed a little at a time to get the limbs about even. Pulling around 30lbs @ the 9" and haven't went any higher as this bow will be for one of the grandkids. Depends on the finished weight who gets what.
 Its bending thru the handle nicely and I think it needs to bend more before the taper going to the tips.
Any and all help please.
      thanks, Graylan

Offline spyder1958

Re: Need more eyes help
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »
Pic didn't load right, let me try again

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:21:05 pm »
You need to take all the slack out of that long string.  It will give you a better idea what the limbs are doing
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 05:40:24 pm »
Others may differ, but I get the handle bending dead last.  Too easy to come in under weight otherwise.  Shorten the string up, pull it again and post more pics.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:03:36 pm »
slims right. all my bows have working handles. get those limbs working properly then get the handle in the equation.

would advise to stop removal on the handle and get those limbs working more. work outside in.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 06:13:23 pm »
I dont use long strings for that very reason. Get it bending as even as possible at floor tiller then i go to a very low brace, maybe like 1 inch and begin testing the bend.

Also i agree with the above. Start taking wood away from the handle. Leave the handle alone until you get the limbs bending then get the handle bending in the last couple of inches of draw.

I like to see my handles bending not just feel them. Seems you are the same way.  Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Don't rush. Take breaks  ;)
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:17:54 pm »
Thanks all for the great input. I do have a lot to learn. I'll tighten up string and remove a little from outer and post them later.
                                                                       Thanks again
                                                                        Graylan