Author Topic: Grampas gun  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Grampas gun
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 02:36:43 pm »
Back in about 1963 there was  flood of surplus Enfields that came to the US. Every hardware store had them stacked up like cord wood. The going price at the time was $16 each.

My dad bought me one, I was surprised how accurate the thing was. I didn't know about corrosive ammo and had some serious rust in the bore all the time, couldn't get rid of it.

I did a hack job trying to sporterize the gun, then put it up for years. In the late 70s a guy at work said he wanted to take up deer hunting but didn't want to spend much on a gun, I thought of that old Enfield. I cleaned the rust out of the bore one more time and sold it to him for $20, he loved it.

I don't miss my old Enfield, I bought a Marlin lever action in 35 rem that I hated and followed that with a Rem 700 BDL in the early 70s that will shoot sub minute groups all day long, will never part with the 700. 

I will always be impressed with how rock solid an functional that old Endfield was. I can see why the British army kept it in service from 1895 until 1957, a great rifle!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:15:16 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Stoker

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »
Back in about 1963 there was  flood of surplus Enfields that came to the US. 

I will always be impressed with how rock solid an functional that old Endfield was. I can see why the British army kept it in service from 1895 until 1957, a great rifle!

That's about the time Dad bought the rifle.
It is a solid rifle. Funny thing is that our high artic rangers are still using them Canadain military. They will function in any conditions.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 01:55:36 am »
This is cool.. I didn't get that opportunity. Didn't get any guns from my grandad and won't get any from my pops, but Diego will get my old Savage lever 308..

Cool story. Congrats on the doe.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.