Author Topic: Bamboo arrowheads.  (Read 5376 times)

alexzxz

Bamboo arrowheads.
« on: November 07, 2012, 03:15:11 am »
This was all I could find on bamboo arrowheads, but from the looks, seems like a viable arrowhead, easy to make and attach as well. They seem plenty durable as well, maybe they can be hardened further with super glue. Anyone have any experience with bamboo tips?

Australian Bushcraft. Making Bamboo Arrow Heads

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo arrowheads.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:12 pm »
That is a nice looking and effective arrow head. You can harden it with fire(heat) and that should make it more durable. I know there are peoples around the world that depend on bamboo arrowheads for theit food and protection. I sure would not want to be shot with it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:53:26 pm »
I've made a couple before. They are very light, probably even lighter than bone. But they can also be very sharp. I'd say you could probably treat heated treated boo like bone as far as arrow head profile and mounting and such. Generally try to use larger diameter bamboo because it will be thicker.

We've had a missionary at our church from papua new guinea and he had some arrows. One of which had a bamboo head which was very long (at least 5") and had a semi-circle profile. It was designed to act as a blood groove when they would hunt monkeys, It could also hold poison. pretty cool stuff.

2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline hatcha

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »
Wow!  That looks very functional!!

I don't know if I can get my hands on green bamboo but after seeing that, I've gotta try :D

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
Nice! I like it. I've made a couple, that makes me want to make some more.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:38:05 am »
   When I first started I made everything possable. I cut out blocks soaked the blocks in water to they were soft. Them clamped the between 2x4 blocks to straighten out the curve. I let them redry whill between the 2 x4 blocks. Heated to harden but you don't really have to. I cut and sharpened to form.
  I've shot does but there light. I
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:40:25 am »
  I rapped lead wire behind the head to get the desired weight.
 But if fire harden they get surpisenly sharp.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:59:49 am »
Way cool!  I've seen slivers of bamboo used like a knife but never thought about bamboo arrowheads.  The last photo looks like one of my bone points.  I'll have to make a few.  Thanks for the post. :)