Author Topic: Hazen North Dakota  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Kpete

Hazen North Dakota
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:29:45 pm »
  I am moving from Wyoming to Hazen, ND.  Any Primitive Archers up that way?   Hazen is on the Flint River which is named for a flint deposit near Golden Valley, ND

Offline Jimbob

Re: Hazen North Dakota
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:32:13 am »
If Im not mistaken, youll be about a half a days drive from JW.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Kpete

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:20:17 am »
Well, Jimbob, there are good things about moving to ND. ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:24:33 am »
Correction, Hazen is on the Knife River, named for the deposits of Knife River Flint, an agatized fossil from of ancient cattail beds. 

Hate to break it to you, son, but there a lot of pheasants there.  Sorry.  And straight north of town along Lake Sakakewea there is a great deal of Corps of Engineer land that is open to hunting.  Bummer, huh?

I used to live in Beulah (two different miserable times).  At that time I wasn't into archery, primitive or otherwise.  But I do have a nephew that lives in Golden Valley.  I have been meaning to talk to him about possible sites to go looking for KRF, since I know a few people that might trade good stuff for it!

Side note, there are often some pretty good runs of channel cats in the Knife River, too. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:20:32 pm »
For them catfish, get some mud puppies/waterdogs from the nearest ranch pond and you will catch more cats than anyone. I had my castnet I brought to RC and everyone wanted to borrow it ;D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:25:00 am »

First thing you will notice about N. Dakota, is that there are no brass Monkeys, or witches!  How are you fit for Polar Expedition clothing?  Ever see any of Dick Tracey's adventures into lower Slobovia?  I think the idea came from N. Dakota!
     Yeah, there are a lot of of Pheasants, and some big Muleys.  Now about that Flint,...... I would like to take a road trip with you JW and get a load of that!  IN the Summer!  And those Catfish sound pretty enticing also!  I can eat some catfish!  I have Relatives in Billings, and one I brought up from Florida, and he went to N. Dakota, with a company he was working for, and I asked him if he checked in on working the oil fields, as an electrician, and he said #@!! no, it's too $#@!@!@@!#@ cold!  But my Buddy here has one son who went to college in N. Dakota, and one in S. Dakota, both on Pole Vaulting scholarships.  According to him, all there is there, is just like S. Dakota, flat land, nothing to do but fish, hunt, and when the seasons for those go out, go down to the bus station and stomp crickets. ;D ::) :P  But he chose N. Dakota over the other choices for college, for some reason.  He didn't seem to mind the cold, in fact he is still there working for some company, and making some serious money for a 25 yr old!  In fact for anyone!  Good luck, and good luck with getting some Knife River flint.  It is supposed to be some good stuff!  Try to get with J.W. and you might get the secret location of the mother lode, from his Son. ;) ;D  Good luck on your move, and new residence.  Just think of the little penguin, "Chilly Willy".... ::)  Speaking of..... remember not to pee outdoors during the winter! ;) ::)

Wayne
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:59:45 am by stickbender »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
Peeing outdoors in the winter is no big deal....if you are good at running backwards!

I think Kpete is closer to me now than when he moves to Hazen.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:35:29 pm »
JW is right, it is the Knife River, not the Flint River.  It is called the Knife River because of the flint deposits west of Beulah.
I made a run up there with my bride and the pheasants greeted us when we pulled off I-94. 
I was teasing when I said there were blessings in Moving to ND-being just a bit farther from JW. ;)
I will be busy but always like the Missouri River and its lowlands.  Not sure how my tree stands will hang on the fence posts and telephone poles.  I like the prairie.
Not as worried about the cold.  Cold days are for working on bows, strings, carving pike plugs, etc.   Much better than roasting in summer heat.
Thanks for the responses. I love catfish.  I will force myself to fish for the Walleye, Pike, and Salmon in the big Lake and below the dam. 
Best of all to you all.
KPete

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 09:45:13 pm »
When I lived up there the opening of pheasant season corresponded with the start of the salmon run.  I'd hunt pheasants in the morning, cast for salmon in the bays near the big dam at Pick City in the daytime, and hunt rabbits in the evening on the way home.  The best days I got fur, fins, and feathers.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 04:04:26 am »
When I lived up there the opening of pheasant season corresponded with the start of the salmon run.  I'd hunt pheasants in the morning, cast for salmon in the bays near the big dam at Pick City in the daytime, and hunt rabbits in the evening on the way home.  The best days I got fur, fins, and feathers.
     Too bad you didn't have Eddie's jeep, you could have added a deer to the list! ;) ;D  ;D

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
Hey I live in Jamestown ND , Hazen is about 150 miles NW of me,you going to work in the power plant,its pretty much on the east side of the badlands,all the goverment land you would care to hunt,the grasslands and rougher country are good for whitetail along the little missouri river and muleys as well.South of Medora around the Bullion Butte area is a blast.
Now is the good old days

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »
Forgot to add the Killdeer WMA is great bowhunting as is North of Roosevelt Park,get a BLM map and yes it sure does get cold.
Now is the good old days