Author Topic: Need some advice.  (Read 1422 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Need some advice.
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »
Ok guys, here's a magnifying glass that is 2.5 inches in diameter and 3/8 inches thick. I am very open to making it a short Skinner or something. I'm not totally sure how i would go about thinning and shaping it. there are no cracks in it and looks like its some of the stronger types of glass. Any thoughts on this?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline TRACY

Re: Need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:43:33 pm »
I would get some bottle bottoms and save the lense. Find a community recycle center and sort through the bottles . Probably get obsidian fairly cheap from a supplier that would be better material that you can see platforms and flakes better than clear glass. There are many folks here that will trade rock if you have stuff to trade too. Good luck

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:09:23 am »
So your saying that you wouldnt knapp the lens at all or just later? i am more than willing to go find bottles so i can get the bottoms.  i live 8 hrs away from the glass buttes but i need to get some time to go down there. Hopefully i will be down there soon and be able to get several hundred lbs of dacite, obsidian, ect.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 03:01:45 am »
I've never knapped a lens. Give it a whirl, but score the edge first, it helps the tip grab the edge.  I recommend a Hi Grade or treated flint. Its a little tougher than glass, but can melt like butter with the proper technique.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:16:25 pm »
So your saying that you wouldnt knapp the lens at all or just later? i am more than willing to go find bottles so i can get the bottoms.  i live 8 hrs away from the glass buttes but i need to get some time to go down there. Hopefully i will be down there soon and be able to get several hundred lbs of dacite, obsidian, ect.
Knap away. I just thought it would be easier to get and use bottle bottoms. Even better is your location and obsidian. Lenses are harder to come by and expensive.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:26:15 pm »
If you are going to knap glass, be careful! Having knapped several different materials, I can tell you that glass and obsidian will slice you in a heartbeat. You should always wear safety glasses when knapping, but this is especially true with glass and obsidian! One more thing is you need a leg pad with these materials, trust me, I learned the hard way after destroying several pairs of jeans from the tiny obsidian shards embedded in the fabric. As for the lens, I would start by pressure flaking in a back and fourth zig zag pattern around the edge (make shure you grind your platforms) and then I would try to visualize the point ect. that you want to get out of the lens. The convex shape should help you drive long flakes. Remember to take your time and set up good platforms (slightly below center, well ground for strength). Also you may not want to set your flakes side by side but instead run guide flakes on either side of where you want a big flake, these are guide flakes or relief flakes. The guide flakes work to set up a center ridge. If you use this technique, remember to take a few flakes off the opposite side of the ridge to get it below center. Remember to grind, grind, grind.