Author Topic: Finishing a tattoo.  (Read 1825 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Finishing a tattoo.
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »
I got a tattoo of a wolf paw on my wrist when I was 18, for no good reason, and now, at 24 it just looks kind of out of place, and I want to add to it. Are there any talented artists here that I could run an idea or two by, who could put it to paper? I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks guys.

-Dakota
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Finishing a tattoo.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:44:27 pm »
Pity you aren't here in the Black Hills.  One of my best friends does some of the most amazing coverups and corrections to existing ink. 

Just start shopping the artists.  Ask them to look at the tat and put some pencil lead on paper for you.  But whatever you do, don't lead them on thinking that they have the job.  Make sure up front that they know you are looking into other artists and designs.  Sometimes they will use up a lot of shop hours creating a design for someone that is just "shopping".  Since many of these folks are renting shop space from the "boss", spending time on a design means they aren't going to be doing paying work.

And make sure when you pic a design that you compliment the inkslinger's work!  You do NOT want a tat' from an angry man with a needle.  After all, the slinger controls the hygiene in his station!!! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:22:30 pm »
Where is Tattoo Dave?

I'm about due for some new ink as well.  I'd like to work on a half sleeve on my right arm. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:47 am »
Hey guys. What JW said. I could get something on paper for ya, but who ever does the tattoo will want to change it anyway. Most artists don't like tattooing someone else's art. Make sure you ask to see the artist portfolio!!! Tattoo artists are a dime a dozen...good ones are about a quarter a dozen. Hence the reason I'm not a tattoo artist anymore...couldn't make consistant money to pay the bills. Anyway, if ya want I can still work up some drawings for ya. Let me know, and if ya have anymore questions, I'll be happy to answer any.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:30 am »
  get it removed
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »
Thanks all... and I tried running it by a friend, who couldn't follow what I was talking about, so if you don't get it, let me know because its kind of a vague idea.

And I know what you're talking about looking at portfolios. I had a tattoo done on my back after shopping around forever, and the artist took my design and said "This is cool, but..." then blew my mind with his idea. The tattoo looks like it's honestly painted on. Looks pretty amazing.

I appreciate all the input. Thank you.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:47:35 pm »
One of my best friends is a tat2 artist.  He sees my lily white skin and weeps.  Poor guy, I shouldn't tease him.   

Recently he called me and asked me to go to a new tattoo shop in town and check out the guy's Portfolio.  I thought it was a bit of a cryptic request, but for the sake of the mystery, I did it.  Walked in with sleeves on my shirt buttoned down the the wrists and asked to see portfolios. 

He got upset when I tucked the second photo album under my arm and walked out the door.  I think the sight of the Taurus just inside the waistband slowed him down, though.  My buddy was happy to get his stolen portfolio back later that evening!  In the meanwhile an anonymous tip to the Health Department and the guy's brand new shop is closed. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:41 pm »
Yup, have seen that happen a time or 2 JW. Tattoo artists are some shady characters. ;) Well, some of them.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 04:28:03 am »
Wow that's crazy. Glad it all turned out well though.

Offline Nifty

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:27:14 pm »
How far are you from Helen, GA? My stepbrother owns a shop, the man is a master. I'll ask him if he has a direct link to his portfolio, otherwise search 'Old South Tattoo' on Facebook if you're on there.
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"