Author Topic: getting deer out of the woods  (Read 5375 times)

youngbowyer

getting deer out of the woods
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:52 pm »
My state has recently done away with the mandatory deer check in system. all deer can bow be checked in online which has expanded my hunting range. Now i can hunt public land without worrying about getting the deer out as i can now quarter it and pack it out. However, I still have to drag the deer to my bike and I saw this product online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOfm8nZi5Xk&feature=related . Could I use a garbage as a substitute to eliminate traction with the ground? 

Offline Kpete

Re: getting deer out of the woods
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »
Tom,
don't know about that product but have used a couple of the "roll-up" drags even on elk and they make a big difference.  Not sure if a garbage bag would be tough enough.
Now, I been thinking  about you today, and hope the big storm doesn't cause you problems.
Kirk

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:59:15 pm »
A garbage bag wouldn't last 10 feet in my woods.  It would get ripped to shreds.  What about a small tarp?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline handirifle

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:22:41 pm »
I wouldn't use a garbage bag either.  The best ones I have seen were thicker than the one in the video even.  I have seen this stuff in stores and cannot remember where.

I use a web belt system that goes on almost like a safety harness for tree stands, but without the lag straps.  I drug mine last year with it about 100yds and it was very nice.  I had mine in a heavy duty game bag.

This is more the type I would get http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/original-deer-sleighr-game-sled.aspx?a=450188.  nice thing I see about these is you don't need a heavy game, just something to keep the flies off.  The bad thing is the 5lb weight.

This one is polymer 3ft x 6ft, and if you could find the material, and get some solid grommets in it that would do the trick.  Remember to tie the actual drag rope to the deer, NOT the bag or else it will rip.

This thing used with the harness would be sweet.  On the harnesses, I would get one that goes over BOTH shoulders, buckles in the frong, and has a strap out the lower back to attach to the deer.  The ones that use your hands behind your back are hard on your shoulders, and take up both hands.  Mine leaves the hands free.

Something like this

Called the Deluxe Deer Drag.  That is the one I have.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »
I had a bad expierence with dragging a deer with a rope that I wrapped around my waist and tied. I suspect one of the deer drag "harness" systems may be similar. On level or rolling hill country I believe the harness would be great. I however was dragging a deer years ago in West Virgina and as I got on the side of a hill the deer began skidding down hill on the leaves. I was young and much lighter, but the deer spun me backwards and pulled me off my feet. I then began being dragged by the deer that slid under a 3 strand barb wire fence. I was pulled tight against the fence, but was able to get it untied and released. I was not injuried, but if that had been a steep edge or worse ??

I now tie a rope around the two front feet and head, pulling them all tight against each other. About a foot or so from the deers nose I tie the rope in the center of a stick 4-6 inches wider than my shoulders. This enables me to pull with both arms straight behind me and keeps the deers head and feet lifted and centered behind. I can turn loose quickly if needed. No front legs loose and dangling to catch on brush. If its a good buck I still pull the front legs up and tie them to the neck for the drag out. If in a field or open area you can skip tying the feet up.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:11:20 pm »
They say a plastic sled.....for use in snow works pretty well.  I have never tried one myself though.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 09:36:00 am »
   Me and friends have quarter quite a few bucks to get them out of PL and NF. Why could'nt you check in a quarter deer. That makes no sence, heck 99 % of the time no one even came out to look at my bucks unless they were nice ones or you wanted a pic's put up in their store.. Who would wast a tag checking in a deer they did'nt have.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:18:43 pm »
I think a plastic sled should work well !
I am glad to see someone besides the criminals is thinking this new law is good !
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:11:14 am »
If you are as lazy as me, you shoot deer small enough that you can tuck 'em in your game vest.   ;D

Black Hills deer can be pretty small, and I have been known to carry a second blaze orange vest to put on the deer before I hoist her in a fireman's carry.  Yeah, ain't that a sight to imagine?  Me with a blaze vested deer on my back?  But it's better than having some joker throwing lead at the two of us!

I like the idea of that roll-up vinyl dragging sled, much better than the two wheel carts, but I think that the two wheel carts would actually have less rolling resistance in the long run, but would be horrible on steep downhill slopes. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:24:49 pm »
I use a kids plastic sled for snow when I am hunting close to my house, they work well for the small does I get.
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 03:43:38 pm »
They make an attachment for bikes that can pull things behind. I would think something with wheels attached to your bike would be the ticket.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:45 am »
Know a guy,he has a bike shop,he and a guy were modifying a trailer you haul a child in behind the bike. Said he found it on craigs list for 50 bucks.
laugh. its good for ya