Author Topic: Concept bow  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Simmental

Concept bow
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »
Just a short disclaimer- this post is not about super traditional bow building- I am just putting out some ideas and I know how much technical know-how there is put together on this site. I am in the process of building a sinew backed hickory recurve and I love traditional bows... but that is for another thread.

I was thinking about bow building the other day and about laminations and backings while strolling through the neighborhood tractor supply. I came across a rack of aluminum strips and was struck with a concept for a bow built in the style of a longbow but with modern materials. I am thinking about things that can be picked up for a couple of bucks at ant Home Depot. What do you think might be the best bets? Aluminum backed with a core of molded plastic? Rubber? Laminated wood? Flooring? Cork floor handle? Nylon? I want your ideas (the crazier the better)

1Brotherbill

Re: Concept bow
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:25:32 pm »
If you really want to get crazy look up the design for an Oneida Eagle and then a Penobscot bow.  Mix and match you could really come up with a crazy design.  You might end up building something that will explode in your face but Crazy is the key right.   

Though I think this thread will die quickly being that modern and primitive don't really mix well.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:36:24 pm »
Your not going to get many responses.

This being primitive archer dictates natural materials only.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:21:24 pm by sharpend60 »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:44 pm »
A well chosen pair of hickory Axe Handles.  Some steel tubing for a handle, a little work tillering, and voila' farm-bow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »
I've seen some PVC bows on Youtube.  I can't imagine working with materials like that would smell as good as sassafras though ;)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:05:11 pm »
You might as well grab a fglass t-post and tiller it.
Steve Bennett

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:27:46 pm »
Doesn't really fit here. You will have trouble with Aluminum unless you prep it properly as Fred Bear found out.
 You can buy solid fibreglass strips at HD.  About 4 feet by 3/4" x 3/16". It would be hard to beat a couple of those inlaid into the belly of a wood stave.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 02:59:42 pm »
PVC bows.  I've made a bunch.  Easy to make and great to give to kids and youngsters.  Like someone above said:  Look the up on YouTube.  Literally hundreds of videos.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:03:48 pm »
I'd rather build a canon. Much more cool than aluminum or fiberglass.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:21 am »
 I'd rather build a super potato gun if I have to play with HD parts. A six " watermelon mortar would be fun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »
Avoid the flooring, at least the laminate 'wood' flooring. I'm speaking from experience. Not only is that stuff super-toxic to cut, it turns out that it can't bend - it just shatters. I thought that being 'strong' and 'resilient' meant that it wouldn't break from the mere stress of being bent 50% of it's length.  ::)

But seriously, if you want to make an UBERBOW I have some ideas that are pretty silly, but may work. I heard some people talking about making 'steel' bows from pickup truck leaf springs. You could also do a sort of 'stick' bundle with those driveway markers lashed together. If you want to be truly ridiculous and go nuts, involve duct tape. EVERYTHING is better with duct tape.

One thing, all kidding aside this time, that looks promising is the vinyl trim and moulding. It's perfectly shaped, easy to work, comes in long lengths, and bends easily at the same time as being strong. If you were to use this as a backing to some harder material, such as PVC or even the oak boards they sell, I bet you could make something fairly strong and durable.

Of course, like they all said, it's not exactly the right board for these 'new fangled' hippy-bow modern ideas. Pretty soon you'll be talking about putting wheels on your bow and ignite some kind of firestorm free-for-all. For shame.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline handirifle

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 10:34:08 pm »
Doesn't really fit here. You will have trouble with Aluminum unless you prep it properly as Fred Bear found out.
 You can buy solid fibreglass strips at HD.  About 4 feet by 3/4" x 3/16". It would be hard to beat a couple of those inlaid into the belly of a wood stave.

What department are those in?

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:57 am »
I've seen them all the way in the back of the store, behind the area with the molding and huge power saw. Of course, that's in my Home Depot, but most of them have a similar layout.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.