Author Topic: Odd cracks on belly??  (Read 1081 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Odd cracks on belly??
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »
I just finished an oak backed ipe bow for the son of my local taxidermist. It is 60" ttt and 35#@25". I was on the patio shooting it in some more today and noticed some tiny cracks above the handle. Not  really compression-type cracks. Here is a pic.

Here it is braced.

Do you think I am safe to give it to him at such a low draw weight?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:10:44 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Odd cracks on belly??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:21:21 pm »
It just dawned on me. I guess this answers my question on this post.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35456.msg466758.html#msg466758

This is the same bow. This is the limb I took a little too much off of. Although I tillered it to correct the bend. Apparently there was just too much stress on this limb, hence the unusual crack striations. Do you think it is an imminent failure with a dense wood like ipe? If it fails, do you think it will explode or just fold over with the white oak back. I can make him another if it breaks. I just don't want him to get hurt.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »
Yup..those are frets alright Kenny...its hard to say how much longer that'll last..could go a long time or in the next hundred...I'd make him another one cus my conscious just would not allow giving that to somebody else.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:34:05 pm »
I already laid another one out, Blackhawk. I feel the same way. Well, the ole sayin live and learn seems to apply a lot to me lately. Sigh!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:41:07 am »
  THEY ARE STRESS CRACKS. Show it to him and tell him it something happens because of the cracks you'll replace it.
  If it's low weight it should be OK.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING