Author Topic: The Wonders of Hedge  (Read 3414 times)

Offline tom sawyer

The Wonders of Hedge
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:56:03 pm »
Had this 64" deflexed stave laying around the shop for a few years now.  I decided to cut out a couple of bow blanks and thought I'd give this one a shot.  One limb was about 3" deflexed and was no problem, the other was closer to 6" with a little dogleg to boot.  Clean little piece otherwise with decent rings.  Kept waiting for that "tink" sound of a splinter popping but never heard it, and with patience and plenty of heatgun I managed to clamp it to the form.  To my further surprise it held most of the shape when I released it the next morning.  Needs some touchup work but its got a nice bit of reflex already.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: The Wonders of Hedge
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:12:04 pm »
Holy Shiite Muslim!  Talk about taking charge and telling that stave how the stick floats!!!

Sic 'em Tom, show that stave who's boss!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:50 pm »
Tom, was that done with dry heat only? Looks like it's going to make a nice bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:39:08 pm »
Tamed that sage!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »
Been awhile since you posted a bow Lennie.  Looks good
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »
Lennie,
     I was wondering where you had been recently and hadn't really heard.......wait, what the heck is that piece of "sculptured" wood under the caul?

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:14:20 pm »
That's amazing! Nice caul setup, too.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:10:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Fred yes this was bent using dry heat only, no oil either.  I have a steaming setup but haven't used it in a long time.

Marc, I mostly lurk these days since I don't make that many bows.  It kinda goes in spurts.  I have some other hobbies that also compete for my time.

Pat thats the shop goddess.  It is a sculpture I came across some time ago.  I recently sanded her and have been refinishing with tung oil.  Nothing like rubbing your tung on a wooden nude bust.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:28:47 pm by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »
Nice work on that piece of sage it sure looks good to go now. Osage amazes me sometimes, I had two splits from a branch in my shop for two years that I thought was way to propellor twisted to make bows from. One day earlier this year I rough shaped bows into them and
reduced thickness to 1" and took the heat out. Ten minutes of heat and wrenching and straight as could be and held that straightening
too. Good job on yours, show us what you make out of it.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:21 am »
Good to see ya back at it Lennie,looking forward to seeing that one finished. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 01:14:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Fred yes this was bent using dry heat only, no oil either.  I have a steaming setup but haven't used it in a long time.

Marc, I mostly lurk these days since I don't make that many bows.  It kinda goes in spurts.  I have some other hobbies that also compete for my time.

Pat thats the shop goddess.  It is a sculpture I came across some time ago.  I recently sanded her and have been refinishing with tung oil.  Nothing like rubbing your tung on a wooden nude bust.

Hmmm...THATS the other hobby! ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 12:24:37 pm »
Hey Lennie,
Good job getting that stave bent back the way you want it. Was that one that I gave you?
Nice to see that the shop godess is getting so much attention. Careful you don't let Shannon catch ya with yer tung out tho...
 ;) ;D