Author Topic: WHOOPS!  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Josh B

WHOOPS!
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:29:04 pm »
I had high hopes for this piece of Autumn Olive, but no such luck  :'(.  The wood was dense and hard and it was bending ever so nice up to about 35#@18".  I took a few scrapes at the handle, started to exercise it a little, and crack!  Tension failure at a knot.  It was 52" ntn and I was shooting for 50#@ 26", but the combination of high crown and a knot dead center were just too much.  Oh well, nothin ventured, nothing gained!  Josh

Offline Badly Bent

Re: WHOOPS!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:39:04 pm »
Sorry to see that Josh, looks like it was shaping into a nice bow but we all know there is no guaranteed success when dealing with wood.
I've had a few do that on me recently when at that stage too but it never stops us from jumping into another bow does it. Post the next
one you build, I always enjoy seeing your work. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:21:36 pm »
Dang Josh.....didn't notice the crack but I do believe I seen some woodland fineals on that baby  8)
rich

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »
looked like a nice bow sorry to see it break.
Rob

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:04:38 am »
Thats thee first autumn olive attempt I have seen Josh. Never thought about even trying that gnarly stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:02:11 am »
Good eye Rich!  It was intended to be an eastern woodland.   I had not heard of it being tried before either, pearly.  I have one more piece, but its just as crappy as this one.  I'll try longer and see if it holds up.  Badly bent, you are correct.  Until it flings an arrow, its just wood.  Grab another stave and get after it.  I appreciate the condolences Trapper Rob.  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:05:34 am »
It probably would have worked had you not worked on it in the shop of the Black Cloud Next to voodoo >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:33 pm »
You may have a point there Big Chief Blackcloud!  That voo doo stave might have jinxed it!  I hope you get that thing done and pawn it off on someone far, far away.  That stave has some seriously bad ju ju!  Lol!  Seriously though, I was asking way too much from that piece, especially  since it was the first time using that kind of wood.  The next piece is just as riddled with knots and thorns so I believe that I will attempt a 69" full compass bend on it.  We'll see what happens.  Josh