Author Topic: Duck season :} pics!  (Read 2572 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Duck season :} pics!
« on: October 13, 2012, 09:50:15 pm »
I went on a stalk for deer in the wind. It was really blowing hard so I figured I would hit some thick betting grounds around a flooded pond, getting deeper by the year thanks to some beavers im not allowed to trap on my neighbors land. I can't complain too much though because he gave us duck hunting permission also. The flooded timber has become a sanctuary for mallards and wood ducks with some teal and black duck in the mix.

Some sections of an old snowmobile trail that goes through his land and are now flooded as well. 5 years ago they were five feet wide and maintained, but now they are chocked with fallen trees and wild rose.  rabbit heavens.   As I stalked along the overgrown and now in this section ,flooded trail, I kept bending down and around brush to see in front of me.  the 72 " bamboo backed hickopry bow and back quiver were giving me a workout getting through it all.  about 300 yards into my stalk i saw ripples in the water fifty yards ahead.....and the a flash of a duck every now and then through the thick weeds and tall grass that was blown over, hanging above the water,  and screening where the duck was. only bits were visible every now and then, but it was clear the duck was contentedly feeding where the water reached the new bank.

I was wearing rubber boots so I slipped through the water and began my stalk down the flooded trail. After about 5 minutes I made it to 25 yards and waited as the Ducks (now i was sure there were three), fed behind brush only exposing themselves for a second at a time. When one was somewhat in the clear I raised my bow to ready for the shot. He saw me and slowly made his way away from me, bobbing his head like an alert turkey as he went,  which peaked the curiosity of the other two mallards. As the second bird which was a hen cleared the brush to see around the corner, I saw her head first, and picked a spot on her body which was still somewhat obstructed by brush. I began my draw as she continued to slide out at an increasing pace as shee too began to get nervous. Slightly swinging my bowarm with her, i hit full  draw while staring at that spot on the wing butt.  I loosed just as she was about to clear the weed completely.
The arrow streaked to her and the two intersected perfectly, with a solid thwack as the arrow slapped the water at the same time.......she splashed a short few sections as i ran to her through the water, but was mostly still by the time i reached her......and i hooked her with my bow string and limb before she drifted deeper into the flooded timber. The squirrel point arrow i had used did its job very well, as evidenced by the color of the water and the shaft firmly inbedded halfway through the duck.

after giving thanks, i checked my phone to see the time and immediately headed for my land and house.  [plenty of time to get dinner going.

Thirty minutes later I showed my six and two year old where the tender meat comes from on a duck.....and two hours later we sat down to milk braised duck breast with a white-wine deglaze drizzled overtop. My wife and kids couldnt get enough.

Duck definitely tastes better with a poplar skewer over steel peppercorns

Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Duck season :} pics!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »
Great hunt!  I love the way you tell a story and nothing is better than freshly killed and cooked game.  Nice work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:08 pm »
Well done army medic 2! I'm a die hard water fowler and enjoyed your recount of the hunt. It reminded of some beaver ponds I've hunted in nw Michigan in the past. Good eats and fletching!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »
  GEEZEE! I thought  I   was  there  for  a  second?  Man  I  hope  you  tag  more  game!  I want to  read  more! Btw   good job!  And  Ill  hunt  with a a  guy that  will  take time to  give thanks any day  JeffW

Offline wolleybugger

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:03:49 am »
My son just bought me three woodies yesterday and we are going to try out my new smoker out and see if they turn out to be tasty. Hope thier good because we have some more ducks and a few geese to smoke.

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:01:40 am »
great story! well written.

sorta wondering if that's the first duck that anyone has posted here. first that I recall ever seeing anyhow.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
Thanks guys!   Its my first duck with the bow.  Ive taken some geese before but ducks are so hard to sneak up on.

Smoked duck is amazing.   I like to cold smoke for an hour....then braise.   Tender and flavor!

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »
Well done!, good stalk and great shot.
I might try for geese around here, they are more abundant than ducks and they are less scared of people.
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline JustJake

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:12 pm »
Nice job!  I love those hunts that turn up with unexpected success.  I duck hunt more than bow hunt and it sounds like you've got an awesome spot there.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:43 am »
Nice story, not many can say they've harvested duck with a selfbow!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:56 am »
Dang it man!  You should be writing for one of those outdoor magazines.  Great story and congratulations on your success.  I just finished Maurice Thompson's classic "Witchery of Archery" a couple of days ago.  It has chapters on hunting waterfowl and detailed  accounts of hunts like the one you just went on, that he and his brother engaged in down in Florida over a 100 years ago.  Fine pastimes like this never go out of style!  ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:22 pm »
That book is what made me full woodbow man.   Luckily i took a deer the other night.   After work weekend ill get a story and pic up.  Glad u enjoyed!