Author Topic: Yew Bow  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Yew Bow
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:09 pm »
Thanks Guys! I really like the look of all the knots on Yew. ;) Seems like the bigger trees are a bit cleaner though. I'm pretty impressed by it so far.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Horse Thief Killer

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 09:40:41 pm »
I never comment on the message boards at all. But that is one of the coolest bows I have seen on here ever! 8)

Offline Zion

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »
Wow, thanks Horse Thief Killer!(cool name to) That's a serious compliment, with yew it's quite easy to make a nice bow, kinda like osage i guess.  ::)

Offline Horse Thief Killer

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 06:59:46 pm »
I love all the knots and the way you shaped it. It looks like it has been truly done in the woods, by a warrior. Nice job again! 8)

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:17:11 pm »
Nice bow Zion! The only yew that I've found so far is on state land, and I don't want to end up in jail, so I think I'll just stick to vine maple and ocean spray for now! Anyway good job Zion!                             Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 09:14:06 pm »
Nice work!  That's a good looking tiller and I'm always a sucker for character.  Josh

Offline Zion

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »
Dale, you could always just sneak in at  night and get a few...  >:D But ya gotta love OS and Vine maple too.

Doc, i'm starting to like these character pieces too, maybe i can find a snaky piece....  ;D

Offline Holten101

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:32 am »
VERY nice bow....and spot on tiller:-)

I gotta warn you tho...do take care with those heavy draw weights. I, and many others have had serious muscle/tendon injuries caused by shooting too heavy bows. I allmost had to give up archery due to shoulder injury caused by a measly 60# bow.....at the time I could easily draw 80#. So take care mate:-)

Cheers

Offline Zion

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 06:26:17 pm »
TY Holten, how exactly did you get the injury? Just by repetitive shooting with that weight? 'Cuz to me it doesn't seem to be much different then say lifting weights when you draw a bow. Thanks for the heads up tho!

Offline Holten101

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 04:20:41 am »
TY Holten, how exactly did you get the injury? Just by repetitive shooting with that weight? 'Cuz to me it doesn't seem to be much different then say lifting weights when you draw a bow. Thanks for the heads up tho!

My injury broke out during a 3D event, but I guess it was a ticking bomb.
According to my physiotherapist a skewed muscle development in my shoulder (caused by archery) has pushed my shoulderblade up and slightly forward (left shoulder, I draw with my right arm).
The "new" position of my shoulderblade and slightly enlarged muscles  around it limits the space for my upperarm tendons that fastens on my back. This induce a tendon irritation which makes it swell, which again worsens the condition even more.

My condition was mainly caused by less than optimal shooting form (stance and draw) and too heavy bows. Im still suffering from it now, a year later. A 45# bow and new stance make me able to shoot without pain tho:-). Tendons are not to be messed with:-/

Long story short....just be carefull mate:-).

Cheers

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »
Good advice from Holten. Your young and strong now Zion and probably not even thinking about what it will be like to be 50 or 60 yrs.
old but you got the archery bug big time buddy and most of us will tell you that you will still have it 30 or 40 yrs. from now. Bones and
muscles ache enough some days just getting out of bed past 50, just be careful and save some strength for later in life. :) :) :) ;).
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Zion

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »
Ha yeah i guess i haven't thought about what it's like being 50-70. I guess one advantage though is retirement  ;) Now i feel more motivated to study form and get mine better though.