Author Topic: backing???  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Bohunter0908

backing???
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:43:09 pm »
Howdy Y'all
 I have question I'm making a elm short bow
I plan on backing with raw hide. When using raw
hide do you saturate the hide or just put the glue
on the back of the bow and the mating surface of the
Hide and can I use cow hide from tandy leather?
As always any and all info is welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks,
      -Bo-
    LA PORTE TEXAS
Take a kid hunting today and you won't
Have to hunt for the kid tomorrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: backing???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:43 pm »
Bo, you can use cowhide but it is pretty thick so it will add unneeded physical weight to the limbs. Goat or deer rawhide are better because they are thin and strong.
 To add the rawhide backing cut the rawhide so it is just slightly wider than the limbs. I like using two pieces, one for each limb and overlapping at the handle area. Soak the rawhide in warm water while you prep the bow. When the rawhide is soft remove the excess water add glue to it and the bow and lay the rawhide down on the limb. Now, work out any air bubbles or excess glue with your fingers and wrap the limb/rawhide with strips of old bed sheets or an Ace bandage. I like to do one limb at a time too. After about an hour remove the wrap , be sure all the air or excess glue is out and trim the excess rawhide. Now go to the other limb and do the same. After 24 hours you can sand the edges of the rawhide to smooth it out or even use a fine file to do this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »
bo you can get goat rawhide from tandy's, it's used for drum heads, but you can probablly tradfe with someone on this site , Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:19 pm »
I happen to love the antelope rawhide I have been getting from Michael Foltmer, one of the advertisers in Primitive Archer Magazine.  It's ultra-strong, super-thin....and it sure as all billy-heck doesn't slow down the antelope that wears it! His price for a full antelope hide is less than what it costs for two sets of pre-cut backing strips from most suppliers.  And you can back at least 6 flatbows with a single hide. 

It's about as thin as the cardstock an a good quality business card.  I had a quarter inch wide strip lying on my workbench when a local "expert" showed up.  He was asking me about the backing job I was doing.  He then proceeded to tell me that antelope was too weak and that I should be using buffalo because that is what the native people used.  Yeah.  Right.  And then they used belt sanders to thin it down, too, right?  He picked upthat stip lying on the bench and reiterated, "too weak".  So I told him to break it.  He wrapped it around a finger on each hand and proceeded to pull.  No stretch, didn't break.  Before I could warn him, he proceeded to give it a hearty snapping jerk.  On the right hand it cut all the way thru the skin, ligaments, tendons, etc to the bone.  On the other hand it sliced deep into the first joint on his pinky.  I had to drive him to the emergency room since he was leaking bright red hydraulic fluid all over my nice clean wood shavings.  Funny, but he never came back to the shop. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:50:07 pm »
don't ya just love"experts" jw :laugh:, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bohunter0908

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:52:00 pm »
Thanks Fellas
That was all great info.
I guess now I just need to get the raw hide and get to work. Oh two more questions is tb3 good to use on raw hide and if I can't get deer or goat cant I just use a belt sander to thin cow hide kinda like the Indians did with buffalo Lol ;).
    Thanks again,
   -Bo-
    LA PORTE TEXAS
Take a kid hunting today and you won't
Have to hunt for the kid tomorrow

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:01:47 pm »
TB3 works fine.  And yes you can thin rawhide by sanding, just try and make it an even thickness.  It gums up the belt so plan on cleaning frequently.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:19:33 pm »
Ouch! On the finger and the Ego!Couldn't see that one coming ,eh? I suppose squirrel or gopher can't be used for rawhide strings then either......... (snickering to self)Hopefully your friend will heal fast, in both areas . Lesson learned.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:11:13 pm »
No friend of mine.  I'm just a bit picky that way.  But yeah, hopefully lesson learned. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:02:08 pm »
Once again ,you amuse me J.W. Nice Jib!