Author Topic: which TBB to get?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

which TBB to get?
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:21:23 pm »
Which volume covers board bows the best? I don't see my self getting a stave any time soon so why read about some thing I'm not working on yet. And board are easy to find and there's no waiting for  it to dry

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: which TBB to get?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:32:08 pm »
deffinently volume 2 it has a complete chapter on board bows
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:44:19 pm »
Thanks  :). I finally got spending money so I'm stocking up on tools, wood  and books.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:28:02 am »
If you got money to spend I would recommend all 4... right now you're only looking for knowledge on board Bows, but soon enough you maybe looking for knowledge on sinew, seasoning wood, mass principal, or some other thing. it's a good read and I recommend going the distance ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:55:59 am »
Agree with soy. All 4 if you can swing it . Life long resource for all aspects. Even if you only ever build board bows the other volumes cover many aspects of design and performance. You cant make a bow without the wood but you can sure mess up allot of wood without the knowhow.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:18:49 am »
Yep all four, for sure.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 03:25:52 pm »
I will eventually get all of them I just wanted to buy the one that would help me the most first.

Offline campx

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »
I just ordered, and recieved, TBB's 1-4, and I cannot stop reading them!   Hooked.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »
Good chapter on board bows in Volume II, but then quickly get yourself Vol. 1.

Volume 1 was written to be a stand alone and to cover all the bases.  It is really loaded to the gills with good information.  I'm still reading chapter two after 8 years.  Can't wait to say I have a good grip on all the information that chapter has on design!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hedge

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »
Definatly get all 4 if you can.   A very complete, informitive primitive archery set.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 05:57:12 pm »
I'd have to agree with the majority of the other posters.
You are selling yourself short with out the collection.

If you are looking to build board bows, there is plenty of online info on that subject.

Btw, nothing wrong with used copies.

Put a shout out here and on other archery sites plus look at online used book stores.
Try Powells books.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:12:58 pm »
I think you will be happy to get Vol. II first, if you want to jump right into board bow building. I too would suggest Vol. I after that. Tim Baker's chapter on design is thorough and intriguing for when you want to start thinking about cutting your own wood.

I agree the whole set is great to have. It took me several years to scare  up spending money to buy all of them. Those first two are the nuts, bolts and structural things. III and IV have more of the fancy stuff and nonstandard approaches. (But, again, Tim Baker's chapter on a new look at other bow woods in Vol. IV is great and useful information, IMO.)

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine