Author Topic: Billet splicing question  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Calamitus

Billet splicing question
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:40:41 pm »
Planning a red oak board bow with 2" billets, stiff handle. Is it ok to shape the handle with the glue joints, it won't weaken the joint? Also, how do I put some reflex in, if I wanted to, just join the pieces at an angle? And how would the handle block be glued on the bent joint? I see that either the joint has to be flattened on one side or the block has to be shaped to match the 'V'.

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Billet splicing question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:53:42 pm »
Take your billets, glue a 8 inch piece of wood (you could use as small as 6 inches) on to both at the ends., now do your V splice right through both the billet and the glued on piece. You should use at least a 4 inch splice which will leave you with 4 inches on either side of your now spliced bow. Glueing in reflex at the point of glue up is easy, and the additional wood (in the handle area) will give added strength.

VMB
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:00:37 am by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:09:45 am »
Ok, that makes sense. What about shaping a handle in the joint area, I want a contoured handle with an arrow shelf, is that feasible?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »
Yes, just be carefull.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 02:46:38 pm »
Try to get your handle area near the width you will want it to be before you cut the splices. If you glue it up whole then cut it out you will weaken the joint. I would also add a back overlay over the joint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC