Author Topic: advice for a novice  (Read 1701 times)

Offline stonearrow

advice for a novice
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:30:19 am »
I have been knapping for about two years now. Everything i know has come from trial and error. I can make a fairly good arrowhead but they are usually small(none over 3 inches). How can i get bigger blanks and improve overall?

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: advice for a novice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:44:46 am »
i believe that if you can find a rock cutter you can cut big blanks as slabs. its probably the easiest way to get bigger blanks, however, i think if you have enough force you can get larger flakes from the rocks.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:48:25 am »
Sounds like you need larger stone/spalls to work on. Sounds like you're making some good ones, post some pics if you want. Lots of good folks and advice here.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:26:15 pm »
what are you working with, if your working slabs find a gem shop, they useually have bins of slabs of all sizes, or they will cut it for you, or just get bigger rock/spalls, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:21:09 pm »
 I use what i can find in the area around my home. Its mostly Burlington i think but their are about four diffrent kinds of stone that i regularly find. I have no idea what kind they are. I will try to get some pictures up of some of the heads i have made.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »
Hey bud, if you're not heating that stuff that grows around you then you will notice huge improvement just by working cooked stone. Not that you won't still have to put in the time, but the skills come quite a bit easier when you don't have to beat your brains out to get a flake.

Scott

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:06:15 pm »
What all do i have to do to heat treat my stone. Iv tried it before but i had catastrophic complications. Iv been a little leery sence that happened

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:19 pm »
if you can get enough sand and a bunch of hot burning charcoal you can make an oven in your ground that will heat them up for around 6-8 hrs or more. all you do is make a layer of burning coals, then a layer of sand, then spalls, then sands, then more spalls or charcoal then more sand. you just make layers so that you will get nice cooking while they are in there.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:20 pm »
buy a turkey roaster, they are cheap new and even cheaper at good will or a yard sale, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:07:58 pm »
Can i heat any size spall or should i stick to larger ones? Also any tips on reducing the thickness of a flake?